Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

OSL - Defending my BB with 67o

Old
OSL - Defending my BB with 67o - Tue Oct 29, 2013, 04:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hi,

This is a shameless plug for my entry into the Pokerstars Coaching promo, but I would like some feedback on this hand I played in the OSL and won.

**deleted non working link JWK24**

Should I have just folded pre?

Last edited by JWK24; Tue Oct 29, 2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 09:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Please post the hand per the forum rules using the hand replayer or boom. The link does not work and is being removed.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
Odd, I'd checked the link as always.
Here is the hand in question http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...560_F04EA9F081

** off-topic link deleted JWK24**

Last edited by JWK24; Tue Oct 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 01:04 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBNash!

When playing league games, especially the OSL, I need to play extremely tight, which means not taking chances. Every chip that I save can make me last longer and get me more and more league points... the one and only goal in these.

With 67o from the BB, I get a raise and a call in front of me. I need to muck this hand preflop. I need to save the chips to last longer.

If I saw the flop (which I would not), I flop a gutshot on a paired board with a flush draw. There is a bet and a raise in front of me, so I would need to call 4800 into a pot that will be 20760 (23.1%). For me to call, my outs need to have more equity than this. Best case, I have 4 outs and from the rule of 4 and 2, these outs are worth 8% equity to the turn.. IF.. the outs are even good. Even if I hit my straight, I can easily be beat by a flush or full house. Since my hand is nowhere near worth more than my pot equity, this is an easy fold in a cash tourney.. let alone in a skill league game where I cannot take chances at al (especially late in the month when I'll lose more points for doing so).

I also do not want to be all-in (unless I'm blinded in), in a league game unless I'm absolutely positive that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. This is definitely not the case here, as while I do have a straight, I do not have the nuts.

The best decision that I can make in this hand is to muck marginal hands preflop, especially when out of position and am facing a raise.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com