Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

BR Mob - Calling all bets to the river with TP

Old
BR Mob - Calling all bets to the river with TP - Tue Oct 29, 2013, 08:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hi,

This is a hand that I won, believing the short stack to shove with any pair, and didn't let the other guy blow me off the River from a BankrollMob Leaderboard $25 Freeroll - Level IV (50/100)

I am unsure if I was correct in even coming into this pot and would like some feedback on this hand.

Is this me reading these guys correctly or an example of weak play?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...777_87FFFC697E

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 10:44 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBNash!

With KQo on the button, I get 2 limps in front of me. If I'm going to play the hand, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (500).. however, that is over 1/3 of my stack, so making this bet would make me pot-committed. Due to this, I either need to shove or fold and my decision will need to be made based on my reads of the opps (none provided).
I'm going to shove here unless the opps are extreme nits (where I'd be up against a big pair, AK or AQ), but even a nit should be raising theses hands and not limping. With this being the case, I'm shoving!

If for some reason I'm not all-in on the flop (would not be the case), when I flop two pair, I absolutely need to shove the flop.

When playing poker, I want to play tight-aggressive. That means that when I'm in a hand, I want to be the one betting and raising. I do not want to play passive poker and call, call, call. By playing passive, I lose out on a good deal of value for my better hands and give the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me (which if I do so, I deserve to lose the hand since the opp is making a +EV play).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:30 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi IBNash!

If for some reason I'm not all-in on the flop (would not be the case), when I flop two pair, I absolutely need to shove the flop.
I was unsure I had TPTK post flop, didn't think of my hand as having 2 pairs now, cause I think that hey, the other guy does too. And I didn't like those cards enough to raise/shove, so I suppose the answer was to avoid getting into the pot. Didn't have many samples on the villains but they'd been at this for a while playing crap cards and hoping to make pairs post flop to the river. The limping is fearing a trap with someone holding an A/set and maybe making a better pair/hand on the turn/river, and clearly indecisive, uncomfortable, non-TAG poker.

Thanks for another review John!

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNash View Post
so I suppose the answer was to avoid getting into the pot.
Hi IBNash!

That is NOT the answer.... the answer is to shove pre.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi IBNash!

That is NOT the answer.... the answer is to shove pre.

John (JWK24)

I can't get myself to shove that, but I call players shoving those exact same cards with AQ and lose.
I was at just above 10BBs, should've shoved pre.

Thank you!

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 01:47 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBNash!

To give you an example of the hands that I need to be shoving here preflop if it's folded to me...

22+, Ax+, K2s+, K5o+, Q5s+, Q9o+, J7s+, J9o, T7s+, T9o, 96s+, 86s+, 75s+, 65s, 54s

With two limpers, the range will be a bit tighter than this, but not much.. and KQo is very much toward the top end of this range.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com