Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Calling short stacked shoves with AQs, again - 0.25c NL

Old
Calling short stacked shoves with AQs, again - 0.25c NL - Tue Oct 29, 2013, 01:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Hi,

This is a hand from a $0.25 NL Hold'em [90 Players] - Level VII (125/250) that I lost.

I expected the guy to shove with any range given his stack size and called his shove holding AQs. In a situation like this, where I have the chips, is this call +EV or still -EV?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...685_C522B918F1

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 02:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IBNash!

With AQs from the SB, I get a short-stack shove from the cutoff. The decision I need to make here is to shove or fold. The one option that I do not want to take is to call and invite the BB into the pot. I do not have a premium made hand, so I want to keep it as a HU pot.

With the shove being from the cutoff, the range that I want to play against them from the SB based on a 5BB stack is....
22+, Ax+, K2s+, K5o+, Q2s+, Q8o+, J5s+, J8o+, T6s+, T8o+, 96s+, 86s+, 75s+, 65s, 54s

AQs is at the very top of this range, so I want to be in the hand and I will re-shove preflop to try to isolate the cutoff.

Against the opp's range, all of the hands that I listed are +EV calls.. regardless of my chip stack.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Oct 29, 2013, 02:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
So half correct play, thanks! At least I'm starting to get something right, I usually would isolate, but having a week of the MOST amazing runbad has affected some of my play.

Old
Wed Oct 30, 2013, 05:41 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Genuine question John, are those hands you list +ev calls assuming the villain is shoving "correctly", or in general? Would be curious to know, as I think people shove way too tight in these.

Old
Wed Oct 30, 2013, 06:22 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey AK!

That's the unexploitable Nash list for 5BB and the position of the hero and villain.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com