Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL FR Zoom, JJ in BB, where did I go wrong?

Old
2NL FR Zoom, JJ in BB, where did I go wrong? - Fri Nov 01, 2013, 04:38 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
Unknown villain. Where did I go wrong here?

Cheers,
DrJ

Old
Fri Nov 01, 2013, 06:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
They showed the hand I was expecting. The next hand I would expect is AA. So for me they were the worst turn and river cards unless they were holding AK
I like the flat call pre flop. For me this is one of them flops that is getting cbet so often so I would normally check/call or check/raise just to get 1 more bet out of the hands that missed. But TBH once the turn falls it is going be hard to get away from. I played a very similar hand only yesterday were my opponent turned the bigger set. When I watched this I had a flash back and alarm bells went off, so maybe I only put him on that hand because it was fresh in my memory. They also flat the flop then raised the turn after iso raising pre flop

Last edited by Mikey_Luggs; Fri Nov 01, 2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old
Fri Nov 01, 2013, 07:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Here's my first go at this hand-reviewer stuff...

I wouldn't have just called pre-flop. Since villain is unknown, you need to find a way to define his hand some more which raising would achieve. I've found at 2NL that players are usually 4betting with AA or KK and they very often 4Bet shove those hands, where you can comfortably fold JJ.

The flop is so good for you that it's difficult to extract too much value from most of his range. I agree that villain would nearly always CBet that flop so I might've been tempted to check-call, maybe with the intention of taking the lead on the turn depending what card peels off.

The turn is normally an excellent card for you, as so many players will float the flop with AK in position. I would've bet slightly bigger on the turn to extract more value, something like $0.35. Once he raises you back, he has probably one of AK, QQ, KK, AA, perhaps KJ or A4. KK is by far the least likely holding here and I would be tempted to 3Bet shove on the turn, as you have all those hands crushed except KK and he will call with nearly all of those holdings.

That hand was just a cooler.

Old
Fri Nov 01, 2013, 09:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi DrJ,

I like flatting the 5x preflop, it keeps V7s range as wide as possible and invites the limper (probable fish) to overcall, increasing our value.

I agree with others that we should go for a check-raise on the flop. I'd expect him to c-bet his entire range, and when we make a small check/raise, we'll get floated a lot by AK/AQ because we're really not repping much on this board other than JJ. Although that might be over the head of most of the 2NL player pool, those players may call just to try and hit their pair.

On the turn here I'd put him all in directly when he raises. We're only losing to KK, but we're beating AK and AA and as this hand was played he could easily have those holdings. We can't fold a hand this strong on this depth of money so put him in now before a card comes that scares AA.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 03:18 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
At the moment I'm grinding 2nl Spand42 but I will sometimes flat with AA and KK. I might flat KK against a Nit as allot can find a fold with JJ/QQ/AK and only continue with AA KK and also I like to flat sometimes with AA if the player is a reg with decent stats of 18/16 - 22/18 as when I 4bet these type of players I end up turning my hand face up

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 03:43 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
By flat calling the 5x raise, aren't you just inviting other players to join when you're out of position? Also JJ is quite difficult to play post-flop, particularly multi-way.

It sounds to me that JJ is being treated as strong as AA, hoping to lure people into the hand and disguise our range so we can play for more value on later streets. Is this right?

Sorry to keep banging on about this, I just want to make sure I understand!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com