Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Protection Bet - suitable for microstakes?

Old
Question
Protection Bet - suitable for microstakes? - Sat Nov 02, 2013, 04:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
BronzeStar
Hi,

I'm a beginner and have finished poker basics lessons on PSO.
Since I'm a beginner, I play only 2NLHE and a few freerolls other tournaments.

I shall describe a hand which ended my tournament on 84th place (out of about 19000 participants). I have a few beginner questions here and would appreciate any responses.

I'm holding JdAd in Middle Position with 12BB stack. I bet 4BB. CO with a similar stack size calls and everyone else folds. Flop has a J and two spades, no straight possibilities. To protect from flush I bet another 4BB. Co raises and i call all-in since i have TPTK. CO has a pocket sevens and rivers a set. That ended my tournament.

My questions:

1. Is the play by CO appropriate? He also has a short stack and and maybe it is right to shove with 77s. But is it right to do so when opponent is clearly saying he's got a better pair? If he was following my playstyle - it was tight. my vpip would be about 15 in this tournament so there was no room to say i was bluffing.

2. This scenario where players continue to call with bottom pair / flush draw / straight draw, while facing 30bb protection bets, is very prevalent in 2NL cash games. I believe the thought process is "its just a dollar'm risking". So, does "Protection Bet" make sense in microstake cash games? Or, is it more profitable to bet small and lose little when the villain makes a flush on turn/river?

Please note: I am not cribbing over losing money to bad players. I'm a beginner eager to learn, and am in no position to judge other's play style. I may have made some wrong assumptions in the scenario and questions above. Please do forgive me for those and correct me. I'm open to criticism.

Cheers,
CAPPER33

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 05:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
a) open with 4bb is not appropriate when you have 12bb. just shove. probably would not have change anything but gives you a tiny bit of fold equity

b) as played, if you are not going to fold to a shove, there is no point in betting 4bb. shove the flop and put the villain to the test.

gg and better luck next time!

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 09:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
**moved to NLHE Tournament HA **

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 12:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleBeetl View Post
a) open with 4bb is not appropriate when you have 12bb. just shove. probably would not have change anything but gives you a tiny bit of fold equity

b) as played, if you are not going to fold to a shove, there is no point in betting 4bb. shove the flop and put the villain to the test.

gg and better luck next time!
^^^^ Heed this. ^^^^

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 12:47 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Thanks TweedleBeetl.

I've seen that you are very active in the forums.
Your advice is well received. After getting out, i also thought that shove would have been better. But this is an afterthought. Thanks for the inputs.

Cheers,
CAPPER

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 12:47 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Sure will. Thanks.

CAPPER33

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 01:03 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Hi HokyPokyToo,

I see that your response has been moved to another part NLHE tournament HA section. I'm not able to access it. It'll be of great help if you can post the url to your reply.

Cheers,
CAPPER33

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 01:07 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
I'm glad that a lot of active members on the forum took time to respond to my post.
I gather that, both of us (me and CO) should have shoved, given our stack sizes.

It'll be great if you guys can answer the second question also - this buggers me more since i tend to lose big chunks of my stack in cash games because of players not heeding a protection bet.

Thanks.
CAPPER33

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 01:08 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPPER33 View Post
Thanks TweedleBeetl.

I've seen that you are very active in the forums.
Your advice is well received. After getting out, i also thought that shove would have been better. But this is an afterthought. Thanks for the inputs.

Cheers,
CAPPER
Kinds words, but remember I am a beginner too, so do not take anything I say as gospel.

I am just using the forums as a tool to learn.

Old
Sat Nov 02, 2013, 01:10 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPPER33 View Post
Hi HokyPokyToo,

I see that your response has been moved to another part NLHE tournament HA section. I'm not able to access it. It'll be of great help if you can post the url to your reply.

Cheers,
CAPPER33
You misunderstood. he moved the whole thread, not just his response.
You originally posted in the beginners forum, now this thread is in NLHE tournament HA section.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com