Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

BPC nut?

Old
BPC nut? - Sat Nov 02, 2013, 02:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hiya, I barely had a read on this guy, I think it was the 7rd or 8th hand of the tournament. All I know is that he has a med callrange (J7s) So him hitting that straight was a possibillity. I don't believe he had any reason not to believe my bets, as he hadn't seen me bluff, or bet heavily before.
What do you think? This hand is giving me a headache :-'(
He had no idea I wouldn't spring for the rebuy, so why would he bluff that hard? Only thing that comes to mind is that he's playing way under his bankroll.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...430_49C34D6903

I would have pushed myself on the river if no drawcard had dropped...

Old
Sun Nov 03, 2013, 12:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Ashalina77!

With 88 from the BB, when the button raises to 120, I'm going to call, since the stacks are deep enough to setmine (15+X the bet in both my stack and the opp's).

The key with this hand is that I do NOT want to check the flop. I'm going to make a standard value bet and with only one opp in the pot, a standard sizing is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 133.

When the opp bets, I'm absolutely going to raise and once again, the key is the sizing. I'm going to bet between 3X the previous bet (360) and a pot-sized raise (385), so I will raise to 375.

The opp now re-raises to 700. With top set, I'm going to re-raise and SHOVE! I need to make it at least 3X his bet and that's basically all of my chips. Worst case, if the opp has the straight, I have 7 outs to the turn and 10 to the river and I'm way ahead of everything else.

If I saw the turn with chips left (which I would not), once again, I cannot check. I need to make a 1/2 pot value bet. When the opp bets 700, this bet also pot-commits me, so I need to shove the turn. When I make a bet that is pot-committing, I cannot ever fold, so I need to shove instead of calling.

Especially in a rebuy tourney, where I could get called with much worse than a made straight, I absolutely need to bet the flop, then shove when the opp raises.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thank you ^^ - Sun Nov 03, 2013, 04:39 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2013
At least I got it half right lol. Him reraising me made me think he had a double ended straight draw. Not wanting to bust out was my curse. I'll learn from it. All or nothing from now on!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com