Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 45 MAN, kk V TAG

Old
$1.50 45 MAN, kk V TAG - Sun Nov 03, 2013, 04:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=FC32FD1ED7

There was no other way to play this , it was just bad luck?

Old
Sun Nov 03, 2013, 06:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Two criticisms of the hand:

1) I would shove all-in with your stack size. The UTG raiser isn't going anywhere anyway. But this is a minor point.

2) Don't go all in if you know he's going to outflop you!

Seriously though, just chalk it up as what happens in poker and move on to the next tourney!

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 01:06 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi holdemace486!

With KK in the BB, UTG raises to 315. A standard 3-bet sizing would be to 3X their bet, but this is well over 1/3 of my stack, which means that I'm pot-committed and cannot ever fold. Due to this, I need to 3-bet shove preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 01:59 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
Posting coolers doesn't achieve anything.

Agreed with the above posts above shoving pre though.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 04:37 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
I would just shove straight off myself. The way you raised half yous stack and left half behind actually looks STRONGER than just shoving and is less likely to induce the call (or raise) that we're seeking.

Asides from that I'm with birdayy here,not sure what posting this hand accomplishes. We're NEVER folding pre-flop here,money went in ahead...what's to analyze (aside from shoving,given the stack sizes,being the better line than your raise was...)?

Old
Tue Nov 05, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Posting coolers doesn't achieve anything, but actually you didn't play this well imo.

As others have said, the optimal play is probably just to shove with your stack size. Being aware of stack sizes is critical in tournament poker. Since you'd be expected to shove any playable hand with a 13 bb stack facing a 2.1x raise, shoving the top of your range is good. We'd like to get stack action with KK if possible, but villain has opened UTG so without reads, his position along indicates more strength than say, a button or cut off opener, so he's probably not folding to our shove.

Another alternative, if we think the villain is both wide and clueless, is to raise small to about 610 total, to induce bad calls and shoves. They have to be wide (so there's lots of hands they would fold to a shove, that they'll make a calling or shoving mistake with to the small 3b) and they have to be clueless (because anyone with a clue will realize this play on your stack size screams monster).

Raising to 900 looks stronger, and makes it clear we are not fooling around, so it prevents him from making any calling mistakes. He will still get in all his value opens (which we do crush all of except AA), but fold all his light opens denying us any value from those.

Shove >> small 3b > 3b of half our stack

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 05, 2013, 11:15 AM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2013

^^^
bad statement... he had kings... how would can u fold kings and also even if u knew his range was worse than yours how can u say he's going to outflop kk... he has 2 outs. theres nothing wrong with his raise

Old
Tue Nov 05, 2013, 01:54 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner86 View Post

^^^
bad statement... he had kings... how would can u fold kings and also even if u knew his range was worse than yours how can u say he's going to outflop kk... he has 2 outs. theres nothing wrong with his raise
He was joking

Old
Tue Nov 05, 2013, 07:10 PM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm glad someone got the joke! They don't always come across very well in text form...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com