Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 18 man, AKs vs chipleader

Old
$1.50 18 man, AKs vs chipleader - Sun Nov 03, 2013, 08:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013

$1.50 18 man Turbo SNG, 7 hands into FT. LAG chipleader raises to 800. I have AKs in SB
Villian has played 44/29 over 47 hands. In the first half villian was in pretty much every pot when he had the chance. Villain has seen me play 8/8 over the first 40 hands and one min raise/C-bet at FT.
5 handed villain was min raising a lot. Not sure what to make of the 4x raise.

Last edited by sporkT; Sun Nov 03, 2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 12:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2011
I think folding is too nitty

As you correctly describe him as a maniac I think Iwould just jam it in as you are well ahead of hsi range

His steal % and fold to 3bet stats woudl be useful here

My turbo record stands at 0 cashes out of 18 attempts so I very well maybe wrong but im thinking a shove is better than a call

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 01:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Shove.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 08:23 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
Thanks for answers. I am on a downswing in 18 man sngs and trying to figure out where I am doing wrong.

I did shove and he insta called with 77 and we were in a flip for 9K chips with 27K total on the table.
I wouldnt describe him as a maniac - just very actively trying to get all the chips and doing well sofar. He was only 3-betted 3 times and called all three.

Actually. I just replayed the tourney in HM2. FR villain did open fold 14 of 25 hands Then 6 handed he folded 4 of 6. Then 5 handed he was in 7 of the 9 pots, but doing well, min raise stealing, calling a raise and winning with AQ, losing a biggish pot with KK vs AJ. FR again he lost to small stack having TT vs KK and folded the 5 hands prior to this one.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 08:46 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2012
His call is mistake but your push is mistake too , you have to avoid crushes with big stacks . His sizing tells that he isn't going to fold.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:08 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichi-77 View Post
His call is mistake but your push is mistake too , you have to avoid crushes with big stacks . His sizing tells that he isn't going to fold.
His call is correct and our shove is correct.

I don't know about you but when I have AKs i don't really want a fold the vast majority of the time.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:15 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
His call is correct and our shove is correct.

I don't know about you but when I have AKs i don't really want a fold the vast majority of the time.
Sorry didn't write the main reason for me not to shove there. It's because of two short stacks and 22 bb's to shove. and he is The only one of opp's that is real danger for us to shove, and because that's 18 man sng and not 45 or 180 man.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:25 AM
(#8)
If it was the final table of an MTT, then sure.

But we aren't even in the money yet. We need to take risks to maximize our chances of placing in the top 2 spots (where most of the money is in 18 mans).

ICM isn't a massive factor in this situation.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 12:40 PM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2010
I agree with the shove. I think villain probably ought to have folded. He is at best flipping and I see no reason to gamble like this at this stage of the tournament.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 04:50 PM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2010
Shove.

And while 40 hands isn't a large sample by any means,it's enough hands that the villain seeing us at 8%,while you say they may not have been a maniac they probably need to pay better attention and be more cognizant of situational poker. You're one of the stacks that can actually do damage to them,you've been playing a tight game and you shipped. They should know that 77 is only competing with the very bottom of your range (you punch 8% into pokerstove and 77 doesn't even make the cut...) and therefore should have folded. I think against the likely range you're shoving and your stack size that the villain's call here is sketchy at best.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi sporkT

I often see villains raise larger amounts as a way of 'telling' the short stacks that he is prepared to 'take them on'.

What's the min cash in these things? I'm not a sng wizard but I think we are going to make more money in the long run by getting it in rather than folding our way to a min cash.

It's just clicked that only 4 places get paid in the 18 mans so even if we fold the hand we're probably going to have to win a few pots to make it to the last 4 anyway which makes this a no brainer shove imo.

I think villains range is pretty tight but AK is still way ahead of it, AND we have legitimate fold equity. Villain will call it off more times than not imo but it's fold equity none the less.

Cheers, Chris.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com