Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Open League hand......AA Misplayed?

Old
Open League hand......AA Misplayed? - Sun Nov 03, 2013, 11:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012

Hey there,

Just wanted to know how you would have gone about this hand? Once it was over its easy for me to say I should have shoved pre-flop knowing that Villian 5 and Villain 7 were calling almost every hand preflop leading up to this. In my mind I knew they would call yet I didn't want to scare them away with a shove. Backfired obviously

Last edited by Baller81; Sun Nov 03, 2013 at 11:36 PM..

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 01:17 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Baller81!

With AA on the button (or any other hand that I want to raise with, I'm going to make a standard raise, which for this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limpers, I will raise to 5.5BB or 2200. I don't want to raise to less than this or I could possibly be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me, something that I want to avoid doing. I also do NOT want to bet more than this. By making standard bets and raises, I am able to conceal the strength of my hand. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I need to avoid.

The flop brings a pair and 3 opps. When the opps check to me, I'm going to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop are sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 3 opps in the hand, I need to bet 3/4 pot. Due to this, I will bet 6690.

Two opps now shove. While AA is a made hand, I'm beat by anyone holding a 3, so I need to now muck. League games are all about surviving as long as possible and never taking chances, so I need to muck and save my chips in order to last longer and get more league points.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 12:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I think you played it fine, but you probably have to sigh-fold when you are check-raised by the only other guy whose stack can hurt you. It just sucks that 3 people call your sizable Pre-Flop raise.

I agree with JWK would probably also Cbet a touch smaller - a 3/4 pot bet will do the same job as a pot size bet and give you more room to fold if things get nasty.

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 09:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2012
thanks for the advice both of you

Old
Mon Nov 04, 2013, 09:39 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Baller81!

Here is a blog that I wrote that gives the standard bet sizes.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com