Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Bad Beats or Bad Play

Old
Bad Beats or Bad Play - Wed Nov 06, 2013, 04:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
In tournaments where I am 6 or 7 places away from the money and I am in a strong position in the tournament is it wrong to put my money in the middle? It seems everyone is playing tight, a small stack goes for make or break I call with AQ, and he hits his 8 out of his 86. Now obviously this is part of poker and just bad luck on my part, but it kills me. And sometimes I miss the money because of this. Should I avoid shipping my chips into the center? Should I have enough money at this point that losing to small stacks wont hurt me? Wheres my fall back?

Old
Wed Nov 06, 2013, 04:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dolby95!

It depends on the situation. I normally don't like calling shoves with AQ, but if I'm isolated against a shortstack, I could call. Without knowing the exact stack sizes, etc.. it depends. Each situation will be different.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 07, 2013, 03:55 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
It all depends on stack sizes, how the action went down before we can evaluate whether your play was correct.

Just in general terms though, AQ only beats 86 62.68% of the time and loses 36.91% of the time, meaning that there is a greater than 1 in 3 chance that you will lose the hand.

If you continue to make correct decisions, you will win in the long run.. However every poker players goes through long periods of not winning when they aren't getting lucky, that's the nature of variance.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com