Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

New format open league?

Old
New format open league? - Thu Nov 07, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
What are your thoughts on this idea? Instead of resetting all players to 1500 at the end of the month, all active players would only lose 10% of points. This would make it less dependant on volume and give those not able to play 5 games a day a better chance. To keep volume up to reasonable levels, if you play less than 20 games per month you loose 20% of points and less than 5 games per month lose 50% of points. The starting point for new players could be lowered to say 1000 points. looking for feedback or improvements to these thoughts.

Old
Sun Nov 10, 2013, 11:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
It's a month to month League
sleepy

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 11:33 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyolman View Post
It's a month to month League
sleepy

Was just trying to address the issue that some have with the advantage that high volume players have. Skilled low volume players could catch up over time with a system like this. But on second thought, since volume keeps the sight alive, perhaps volume should get a certain amount of reward anyway. Either way, judging on the level of response so far it doesn't seem to be such a big issue.

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 11:49 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
Hiya Duk,

At this time we have no plans to make any changes to the Skill Leagues.

We always value members comments so Please feel free to send your request and ideas to ideas@mypokerschoolonline.com 

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:31 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukpond44 View Post
What are your thoughts on this idea? Instead of resetting all players to 1500 at the end of the month, all active players would only lose 10% of points. This would make it less dependant on volume and give those not able to play 5 games a day a better chance. To keep volume up to reasonable levels, if you play less than 20 games per month you loose 20% of points and less than 5 games per month lose 50% of points. The starting point for new players could be lowered to say 1000 points. looking for feedback or improvements to these thoughts.

The present format is an unfair system, encourages cheating in my opinion. When you see a player in 5 tourneys a day for most of the month you have to wonder when do they eat and sleep or is it a couple of m8s sharing duties which of course is against TOS so am sure that never happens.

A fair way to me would be the best overall average finishes for the month.

my 2 cents

"A weak player may be a nit but a nit is not necessarily a weak player"

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 01:15 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron112355 View Post

A fair way to me would be the best overall average finishes for the month.
This also has problems.
A cap on the total number of games that may be played would be better.

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 01:37 PM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
Members should be alotted a max of say 60 games to accumlate points ---this would give fair advantage for everyone and a level playing field and scoring

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 02:31 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2013
Seems to be the fairest way is to average the scores by the number of tournaments played in a month. No restrictions on how many games you play. I wouldn't watch a football league where some of the teams were playing more matches than the rest and I think the League would benefit. Is the League reflecting the best players or the ones with most free time?

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 03:17 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
Qualifying just takes wayyyyyy too many games imo. I would think it'd discourage people from playing, resulting in less volume overall (but maybe I'm completely wrong). I know I've considered playing in the league but after reading posts from some others experience & seeing what is involved, I can't bring myself to do it. (wouldn't something like > take top 20 results be better?)

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 03:34 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanisSoprano View Post
Qualifying just takes wayyyyyy too many games imo. I would think it'd discourage people from playing, resulting in less volume overall (but maybe I'm completely wrong). I know I've considered playing in the league but after reading posts from some others experience & seeing what is involved, I can't bring myself to do it. (wouldn't something like > take top 20 results be better?)
Last time I played open league played 33 tourneys and qualified no problem playing the foldem holdem method that is taught here. So that is less than 2 a day and I suck.

Don't read all the negative neds who refuse to learn that open league is really just a month long lesson in patience.

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 03:35 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverFlat View Post
Members should be alotted a max of say 60 games to accumlate points ---this would give fair advantage for everyone and a level playing field and scoring

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:17 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO2COO View Post
Hiya Duk,

At this time we have no plans to make any changes to the Skill Leagues.

We always value members comments so Please feel free to send your request and ideas to ideas@mypokerschoolonline.com 

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C
Thank you for your input TOO2COO, I am still not sure it was a good idea and will wait to see what comes out of this thread. Sleepy was right in saying it was a month to month league and my proposal turns it into something more permanent which may discourage newcomers and I don't want to go there. Perhaps it is an idea for a pro league but I don't think that should be free and not for me anyway.

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:21 AM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleBeetl View Post
This also has problems.
A cap on the total number of games that may be played would be better.
I don't like caps either.

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 10:26 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaePirate View Post
Seems to be the fairest way is to average the scores by the number of tournaments played in a month. No restrictions on how many games you play. I wouldn't watch a football league where some of the teams were playing more matches than the rest and I think the League would benefit. Is the League reflecting the best players or the ones with most free time?
That complicated formula for calculating points already averages out scores since it is harder to gain new points the higher you get.

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 08:14 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanisSoprano View Post
One thing the league did for me beside regain some of the patience I have lost over the years is cure me of 99% of my tilt, and the price was right too.

Old
Umm - Wed Nov 27, 2013, 09:14 AM
(#16)
Since: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukpond44 View Post
That complicated formula for calculating points already averages out scores since it is harder to gain new points the higher you get.
Well I don't understand that formula. I do understand that the higher u climb the harder it gets to earn points in a single tornament. Fair enough. But I also know that the current leader has already played a lot more tournaments than a lot of other people, sometimes 6 a day! And you're telling me that's irrelevant and its already balanced out by the formula? Really???

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com