Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Going through Bad Time

Old
Going through Bad Time - Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
I am sorry for bad english .I don't know , what really happened ; I had a bad beat , bad swing or something . It has been for a lot of time . I've been losing at tables . I don't know , did I lost my confidence or something . I discontinued my play for about 10 days . And now it is again there , I lose a lot . Everytime time , I sit to play , I think anyone can beat me . I get nervous post-flop , it was not like that earlier . Each hand I play , I lose it . I had a dream of being a pro ; but it seems difficult now . What should I do ?? I disontinued my play for 10 days but that didn't helped.

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2013, 06:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
It's pretty common for a lot of people to lose money while learning unfortunately - I did. But there are people with better organization and bankroll management than me who managed to build a bankroll by playing freerolls, like people mentioned before ... sounds like Roslyn's doing super well with that, and Moxie was doing the same back when US players could play, and there's others. GL!!

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2013, 07:50 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
ChromeStar
Don't get down on yourself, and as you are just beginning, realize that pro s weren't born, they studied, they practised and they read for years,except the odd luckbox, and also know that not everyones game is going to be holdem , take some time use the play money tables for practise and try some other games. Find all the freerolls you can and play them , bad streaks turn around sometimes they just take forever it seems. There is a lot of tutorials on pokerstars, videos etc, training, but take a look at the other games. I love holdem but Ill never be great at it, I have read, studied, watched for years but I find that actually for time spent and money gained, I do much better elsewhere,and so I am building a plan and a bankroll for that effort in 2014. You must above all else be able to manage your bankroll and have a plan.

2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CHILLI 2 U; Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 08:38 PM..

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2013, 09:25 PM
(#4)
Hi siingh.

Sam and chilli have already given some great advice here---try to play as much for free as you can while you learn and grind a roll up that way and get into the routine of studying and examining your play RIGHT NOW. Save your hands and look over your play after every session while it's still fresh in your mind.

Just finding the school is going to help and when it starts to sink in you'll be ahead of most of the micro and lower stakes players. So buck up...being here is as good a first step as you can make in your journey.

Don't get your head wrapped up into thing's like "becoming a pro"...focus on what's tangible and what you have immediate control over...improving YOUR GAME. Do that and continue to do that and your level of success will take care of itself when the time comes.

Remember,poker is a very seductive game. When things are going well she's the most beautiful girl at the dance,when it turns on us (and it turns on ALL of us at some point and more than once),it's a cruel mistress indeed. But you have to love it enough to endure the bad patches and once you manage that you'll be a better player for it and appreciate the good times all the more.

Good luck,better decisions and keep your head up.

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2013, 11:15 PM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi English is good lost could have been lose but other than that i understand

A hurricane hitting your house is a bad thing variance(bad luck) however hits each and everyone of us at some time as its a part luck game ..im not trivialising your problem however in your mind as the first tiem it happens its surprising you have to somehiow get thru it

Once you can get thru it it wil arive back with a vengence and be even worse (not all doom and gloom however as in between you have good luck)

human brain seems to remember all the tiems AA or KK lose and not so much when they held(they not supposed to win everytime)

freerolls are one way or attend PSo more or take a break

Use proper bankroll maangement so if variance strikes you may have to move back down limits to build back up

good luck

Old
Sat Nov 09, 2013, 11:55 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo834 View Post
A hurricane hitting your house is a bad thing variance(bad luck) however hits each and everyone of us at some time as its a part luck game ..im not trivialising your problem however in your mind as the first tiem it happens its surprising you have to somehiow get thru it
Hey i thought ill ask for some Pro tips here as well ;D I watched some vids about handling a bad streak but most of them speaks just in general. Would be interesting to learn how YOU guys handle them
When i feel luck is not on my side should i go super NIT mode / go to lower limits / take a break from poker in general ? You know real tips from real people
Was going through some unlucky hands of todays sesion. Some of them really looks like Poker Gods them selfs cursed me
Thanx !

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 10:53 PM
(#7)
I do tend to take a break or play in play money if I really want a game till im back on my A game

At my level play money is only dropping down coupel of levels so i realsie if your high up i guess youjust have to realise noone ever posts all the tiems AA wins

Brain remembers the losses but lets say you get it in AA v 22 your supposed to win 80 tiems out of 100 but still lose 20

DOnt quote me and then say pro as im certinly no pro lol

sometiems if im runnign bad at cash i switch to tournaments and when i start running bad at MTT or SNG switch back to cash

Also remember if people get it in way behind you in the long run you will win and make monies

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 11:57 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ens.Wattahek View Post
Hey i thought ill ask for some Pro tips here as well ;D I watched some vids about handling a bad streak but most of them speaks just in general. Would be interesting to learn how YOU guys handle them
When i feel luck is not on my side should i go super NIT mode / go to lower limits / take a break from poker in general ? You know real tips from real people
Was going through some unlucky hands of todays sesion. Some of them really looks like Poker Gods them selfs cursed me
Thanx !

Just understand that variance,both good and bad,is part of the game and unavoidable. It's also uncontrollable,but our reaction's to it are controllable. Focus on making good decisions...+EV is +EV and -EV is -EV,the results will vary,whether any particular decision is a + or -EV decision will not.

Be rolled deep enough to handle the swings that you'll endure and focus on the decision making process,you can't account for the luck part of the game so blunt it as much as possible by exposing yourself to it as little as possible. The best way to do that is by making more good decisions (and thus LESS mistakes) than your opponents.

If you feel yourself getting to a place where you're mentally and/or emotionally being affected by a bad patch,turn the computer off,get up and go do something else. Then,BEFORE you load up another session closely examine your previous ones and see where you made good decisions and where you made bad ones. Don't play when you're putting yourself at a disadvantage before the first hand is even dealt.

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 04:33 PM
(#9)
Recently all my big hands had been holding so at the back of my mind I knew i was due a bad run(dunno how long it wil be)...but so far 2 games got monies in real good

Oh interesting was only 56% favourite for first one at the time I thought more

2nd one I was 70% fav to win

I lost both both times rivered

The second hand kind of played itself and he made the right decision and so did I think

Hoping for some run good in Micro Millions by Friday i maybe due who knows

come on Poker Gods lol

edit as Moxie says being properly bankrolled is key here as if you somehow lost more than you can afford too/or should then it can have even more adverse effect/tilt

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 07:42 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
I find it helps to remember that every time you get beat on the river, it means you had the best hand before that river, so you made a good decision. Think of your bad beats as medals of valor in the war on variance, and that most of the time the same decision will win you money.

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 01:13 AM
(#11)
good way of thinking joy i must try...but i find it hard

bad run only lasted 3 games this time once had whole month bad not sure how many i play in a month however its not many as i rarely multitable so guess its around 25 to 28..and in my short "poker career" have had 2 really bad runs of luck............the other bad runs pale into significance in comparison (you even start to think its rigged against you - but its not im certain of that)

rarely play cash so the luck factor i think is higher in tournaments

hope your bad run is over

Old
Fri Nov 15, 2013, 09:00 AM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2013
1. Take a break. Connect with friends, family, do something fun away from the computer and from poker for a while. Only go back to poker when you're refreshed physically and mentally and actually feel like playing poker for fun or seriously again. Actually, for me, live poker also works fine for me as an alternative to online poker when I need a rest - cool cash game at home with friends and we're having fun while also continuing to practise.

2. When you come back, make sure you have something like PokerTracker or Hold'em Manager if you can afford it (you really should get one, and not necessarily for the HUDs which can help, but really for analysis. There is a ton of information about how you play within the graphs (red, blue and green lines) with a sufficiently large sample (some people say 20K, others 30K, but don't wait for 20K or 30K to try and find leaks and plug them or show your graph. Just saw a very strange graph from somebody else, my graph seems normal for tourney, my cash graph is down for now, not by a lot, but I don't like it).

3. Study more than you play when you come back initially and anytime you are running bad.

4. Read or re-read (and by read here, I mean study it like a text book) a good book covering the game mechanics and terminology. By game mechanics I mean all the things that can happen in a game: betting, raising, 3-betting, C-betting, Flop texture, etc... i.e. things that are invariant in the game. Variants will come with experience and be situational a lot of the time. Gordon's Little Green book is very cool for beginners. Also read the TwoPlusTwo forum posts on strategy.

5. Play at the lowest level possible (2NL real if you can). If not, play money tables (not ideal at all, but it's okay if you want a basic grasp of game mechanics but strive to move on as soon as possible). Don't play when tired, annoyed, or feeling down, if you haven't got the time to focus. Don't play with money you need for living. Don't engage in the chat.

6. When you play, focus on making the optimal decision for each hand, hand by hand. Yes, you will still get beaten, and even run bad, but that's fine, if you encounter a cooler or bad beat, it's not you, it's the bad side of probability or variance, so don't take it personally.

7. Try to review each session after the session with your Poker DB software.

8. If in doubt, ask for hand analysis in the forums.

9. Add some videos to your studies. Also, the Live trainings at PSOs are awesome for learning IMO with very cool teachers like Dave, Chris, Felix, Gareth. You get to interact with them, ask questions to them and other players like ArtySmokes (who's taking a welcome break I gather), John, geoVarta, and a lot of other cool PSO members too.

10. After you've played a few thousand hands, let's say 10K, analyze which game you play best (i.e. 6-max or full ring, cash/SNG), etc...). Also, check your graphs, post them on the forum for feedback, try to find your leaks by yourself with the software and instructions online. Set goals for leaks, e.g. in the next 10 games, focus on plugging that specific leak and do that until it becomes natural.

11. Doing self-analysis can be difficult or capped in its utility, so you could envision getting a coach to do that for you.

12. People also recommend subscribing to a site like DeucesCracked for videos and coaching.

13. Now that you know game mechanics and terminology very well, and if you know where your weaknesses are, let's say about c-betting as an example, you can focus on improving that particular technique in your game. You can also find out the best book/videos/coach in the particular game you want to focus on.

14. Keep a learning mindset: the game mutates with time as players adjust, so there will always be a lot to learn, and what's true today may not be true in two years, and it can also come back full circle as well. Set aside a budget for learning and practising as if you're paying for school. Additionally, if you want to be serious about it in the long run, learn sound bankroll management while trying to move up the stakes as rapidly and safely as possible (the micros can get very, very weird sometimes, at least that's how it feels to me and what I've read).

15. Be patient: the game itself requires a lot of it within a match/tourney, but is also so vast that it will require a lot of time to play proficiently. You can learn game mechanics and terminology fast (I know I did), but learning and mastering the situational, exploitative, variant stuff will take much more than that - it can easily take from a year to several years.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Nataraj1; Fri Nov 15, 2013 at 09:10 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com