Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Zoom (6 max) - AKo in 3bet pot Vs Virtual 'All in' OTR

Old
5NL Zoom (6 max) - AKo in 3bet pot Vs Virtual 'All in' OTR - Fri Nov 08, 2013, 07:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar

Background:

Hero: 15/11/2 (77 hands)
Villain: 26/15/0 (66 hands)

Notes on Villain: Called 3bet IP with AQo, 88 & 4bet with AA

Standard 3bet with AKo p/f... Hit top TP OTF, so opt to cbet to protect Vs draws. Villain calls. Nasty card OTT, so decided to make a half pot bet... & b/folding to a raise. Villain calls again. River is a brick. I opted to 'x' for pot control. Villain makes a pot size bet... Hero???

My thoughts:

Hands that beat us OTR include: pps 77, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA & Tx combos that may call 3bet p/f e.g. AT, KTs, QTs, JTs poss T9s. I think we can discount QQ+ as would expect Villain to 4bet p/f & Villain to raise OTT with all but 77, which leaves TP hands / missed draws?

Questions:

1. Do you agree with the the way I played the hand / bet sizing?
2. Do you agree with my analysis & what range would you put Villain on?
3. Is it a x/f or x/c OTR?

Welcome your thoughts / comments.

Tony [Prodigy237]

Last edited by Prodigy237; Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Added

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2013, 08:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Check the turn.

If he checks behind, value bet the river.

If he bets the turn (big enough that boat mining isn't priced in), fold.

Last edited by birdayy; Fri Nov 08, 2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old
Fri Nov 08, 2013, 12:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Prodigy,

It's a tricky spot for sure... I would probably check the turn and fold to a big bet. I don't see how he can call us on the turn with AQ or worse. It's also hard to see too many club draws in his range as we hold the Kc. He is probably not betting QQ or JJ for the same reasons we don't bet AK. 77 is no concern, I can't imagine he would call the flop with this holding.

Is he capable of turning AQ into a bluff? If he is, good on him, position wins this pot from me then. I doubt it at 5NL as most players at this level don't have this tool in their tool belt I think, nor would they expect you to fold AK or sets despite the scary board.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 09, 2013, 06:26 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Prodigy,

It's a tricky spot for sure... I would probably check the turn and fold to a big bet. I don't see how he can call us on the turn with AQ or worse. It's also hard to see too many club draws in his range as we hold the Kc. He is probably not betting QQ or JJ for the same reasons we don't bet AK. 77 is no concern, I can't imagine he would call the flop with this holding.

Is he capable of turning AQ into a bluff? If he is, good on him, position wins this pot from me then. I doubt it at 5NL as most players at this level don't have this tool in their tool belt I think, nor would they expect you to fold AK or sets despite the scary board.
Hi Dave & birdayy,

I was in two minds whether to check or bet OTT, but decided rightly or wrongly that I would gain more information by betting. I thought Villain would raise his strong hands e.g. QQ OTF & Tx hands OTT, although I agree JJ would probably call OTT for same reason [... which tbh I didn't consider at the time] & therefore struggled to give him credit for set / straight so opted to make the call OTR.

Here's how the hand played out.

Tony [Prodigy237]

Last edited by Prodigy237; Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Added

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com