Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1 45 man SNG villain kept raising limpers is this a fold or a call please and why ?

Old
$1 45 man SNG villain kept raising limpers is this a fold or a call please and why ? - Fri Nov 08, 2013, 10:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi Everyone this hand gave me some trouble/difficulty I think we use 15/1 for set mining but what about here in this spot...later on I reveal the flop

Villain kept raising limpers his stats were...

VP:44 PFR:33 AF:Inf. W:20|100(went to showdown 20% and won @ showdown 100%) STL:0| 3B: CB:100| Hands:9

He soon busted but this spot has been buggin me

He had raised limpers 3 times(once 2 palyers limped and he raised)

Was it a close spot ?...What should I have done and why please?

I had seen him shove allin with ATo in Late position

Thank You

rolo ps I realise its a small sample but it was start of tournament and I had no history with him(I had been tight)

Old
Sat Nov 09, 2013, 01:11 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Hi rolo,

The sb V1 is making a strong bet oop into the V7 limp and Hero over limp. Assuming the set mining odds comes from something we see later?

If we are talking about V7 calling 100 "15:1 to set mine" it's close with V1 having 1520 behind. But does have some more implied odds being in position to the Hero yet to act.

So if we see V7 flop a set OK but hate the limp pre so possibly low pocket pairs and a marginal call.

If it's V1 (that you have stats on) that hits a set well that's different. V1 isn't considering odds to set mine.

I have made some assumptions here so hope I got the line correct.

PS. I haven't looked at the result

Last edited by ForrestFive; Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Not looked at the complete hand

Old
Sat Nov 09, 2013, 05:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
If he keeps raising limpers then don't limp!

I'd raise my standard amount in this spot but if I thought he'd come over the top then I'd fold and let someone else take him out or wait for a hand that I could 4 bet him with/ get my chips in against. Good motes are a key in situations like this so keep an eye on his play and just exploit him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo834 View Post
Hi Everyone this hand gave me some trouble/difficulty I think we use 15/1 for set mining but what about here in this spot...later on I reveal the flop

Villain kept raising limpers his stats were...

VP:44 PFR:33 AF:Inf. W:20|100(went to showdown 20% and won @ showdown 100%) STL:0| 3B: CB:100| Hands:9

He soon busted but this spot has been buggin me

He had raised limpers 3 times(once 2 palyers limped and he raised)

Was it a close spot ?...What should I have done and why please?

I had seen him shove allin with ATo in Late position

Thank You

rolo ps I realise its a small sample but it was start of tournament and I had no history with him(I had been tight)
Editing here: your hand shows A9s is that correct?

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Ovalman; Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: added edit as a footnote

Old
Sat Nov 09, 2013, 03:02 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi rolo! I hope you're keeping well buddy!

The best line of action to take would be to isolate villain 7 by raising either 3 or 4x the big blind ( I'd go with 4x ) to build a bigger pot.

Although villains stats look super aggro we only have 9 hands on him so he could indeed be playing his hands legitimately.
As played I think folding preflop is best but if we have strong belief that he is getting out of line than I don't mind flatting the A9s in postion.

The key mistake you made here was limping with the A9s preflop. You are very likely to have villain 7's hand beaten so why not raise it up and play against him in position !

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Sat Nov 09, 2013, 04:07 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2013
in the early stage of a tourney i only play hands like AK+QQ+KK+AA. so it is a quick fold.

Last edited by sapines1001; Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old
Sat Nov 09, 2013, 09:07 PM
(#6)
Since: Mar 2011
Sorry I dont think I have been clear here(had thought I had been)...I have now underlined my question so I am clear but please kindly read eveything as I try to clear up any confusion..i may have to resubmit this as it prolly closed by now

I havent included the result so your not missing anything

Yes I had A9s

The stats I showed were for villain 1

The rule for set mining is 15/1 ? right

But what about Ax sooted so here I had A9s in hearts when villain 1 riases can I call his raise?
Is it +EV to do so ?

Not being results oreinted but the flop was 3 hearts ...but I had folded (so would flopped nuts)

So when he raises us limpers can I call in position with A9s ? Am I getting the correct odds ?

rolo

ps well done in Micro million satty forrest and ok Chris just ok few health issues but mustnt grumble hope you are well and fighting fit

pps I went on to win this tournament but this hand still had me wondering

just realised mytime is out by about an hour??? how strange up top says 3:07 but was 2:07

Last edited by rolo834; Sat Nov 09, 2013 at 09:20 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com