Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll builder application

Old
Bankroll builder application - Mon Nov 11, 2013, 11:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
Hi,

I'd like to apply for the bankroll builder promo.

Cheers

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 06:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 06:26 PM
(#3)
Hi mikeccfc,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll Builder Session feedback - Tue Nov 12, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#4)
Hi HokyPokyToo,

Thanks for coming back to me. Below is a replay of a hand I played earlier. This was a table full of "players" all hitting their play money hands really heavy,and my question is, how could I have bet this differently to win the pot from a very good pocket hand? Or did I have no chance...?

Just replayed that and it looks like I might have missed the end off the cut - the winner showed 3-2 off suit for 3x 3s...

I just failed the poker assesment test, only got 67% so I'll do it again tomorrow and let you know when I pass.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mikeccfc; Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Hand Replayer isn't complete

Old
Passed... - Wed Nov 13, 2013, 08:37 AM
(#5)
Hi HokyPokyToo,

Hooray, I passed the test... Let me know what happens next.

Thanks,
Mike

Old
Sun Nov 17, 2013, 07:46 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 17, 2013, 12:15 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi mikeccfc!

The first thing that I see with this hand is even before it starts. When I sit at a ring table, I always wait for the BB to start playing. Paying extra blinds over and over is a huge drain to a player's bankroll.

With AK from UTG+1, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (yes the post counts as a limp), so I will raise to 8 chips.

I flop TPTK and when it checks to me, with 2 opps in the pot, I will make a standard value bet. Bets postflop should be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps in, I will bet 2/3 pot (16 chips). I want to keep all of my bets standard, as this helps to conceal the strength of my hand. Players that bet more with better hands and less with weaker ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I need to avoid doing.

The turn pairs the board and with only one opp now left, I will make another standard value bet. With one opp, a standard bet is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 34 chips... BUT... this is over 1/3 of my remaining stack, which means that I'm pot-committed and cannot fold if I make this bet. Due to this, I need to shove the turn.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 07:03 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 08:23 AM
(#9)
Thanks for your analysis John - all good points, that I will take on board. I admit to being a bit impatient and should have waited for the BB as you mentioned, won't make that mistake again. I also understand where you're coming from with keeping the bet sizes standard, I will watch that in future as well. Of course with the freeplay tables players are a lot freer with their bets and clearly won't be as easily persuaded to fold, but I guess when I get to the cash tables this will have been a good learn for me.

I will head for the low value cash tables soon and will post any hand I don't feel sure about, hopefully I can continue learning how to play this game.

Many thanks,
Mike

Old
Cash game hand - Mon Nov 18, 2013, 09:33 AM
(#10)
Hi,

I played the following hand at a .01/.02 cash game session. I contemplated folding pre-flop but when it got to me it was still at 1x BB so I decided as I was Q high suited I would try and see the flop. When it was raised further around, I should probably have folded but decided I wanted to see the flop as there had been a lot of calling on nothing at this table.

The flop came up pretty well for me, as you can see, but there was a possible draw in there and I didn't have a big kicker so I didn't want to go too heavy - perhaps I should have hit it harder? - and just called the first raise. When the turn came and the bets were small to me, as the last player, I figured there was probably a big pair on the table but not much more so went for a bet of 30% of the pot. That was called by the first player but raised by the second. I still felt comfortable but as there was a straight draw and a flush drawer out there, and I had a weak kicker, I decided to only call at that stage. The river produced a third heart which made the flush a real possibility so when the small bets came out I simply called. As you can see, that was probably the best decision I made as the flush was hit. I guess I'm wondering if there was any way I could have won that hand and was too timid with my betting, or whether I just should have backed out when the first raises went in? (The player doing all the raising only had a pair of Aces btw).

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mikeccfc; Mon Nov 18, 2013 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Adding info

Old
Tue Nov 19, 2013, 05:45 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 19, 2013, 01:55 PM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeccfc View Post
Hi,

I played the following hand at a .01/.02 cash game session. I contemplated folding pre-flop but when it got to me it was still at 1x BB so I decided as I was Q high suited I would try and see the flop. When it was raised further around, I should probably have folded but decided I wanted to see the flop as there had been a lot of calling on nothing at this table.

The flop came up pretty well for me, as you can see, but there was a possible draw in there and I didn't have a big kicker so I didn't want to go too heavy - perhaps I should have hit it harder? - and just called the first raise. When the turn came and the bets were small to me, as the last player, I figured there was probably a big pair on the table but not much more so went for a bet of 30% of the pot. That was called by the first player but raised by the second. I still felt comfortable but as there was a straight draw and a flush drawer out there, and I had a weak kicker, I decided to only call at that stage. The river produced a third heart which made the flush a real possibility so when the small bets came out I simply called. As you can see, that was probably the best decision I made as the flush was hit. I guess I'm wondering if there was any way I could have won that hand and was too timid with my betting, or whether I just should have backed out when the first raises went in? (The player doing all the raising only had a pair of Aces btw).

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike!

Im glad you wrote out your thoughts. That helps! Preflop, folding would be best for several reasons. Primarily, Q6s is just too weak to play. No matter what comes on the flop, you will be insecure if your hand is good postflop. If you don't know what you are hoping to flop, then folding is best. Secondly, as you said, players limp in a lot at 2NL with a wide range of hands. Don't fall into the same pattern. Stick to playable hands, then once you get a good flop, you will have a good chance of winning a big pot against so many other marginal hands. Finally, again as you pointed out, players tend to limp in preflop. Here however you are facing a raise and have a player left to act after you. Pretty much any hand the villain is raising with is going to be better than your below average hand.

As played. Your flop play is fine because you do have a weak kicker. However, with only one queen remaining in the deck, I wouldn't worry about getting out kicked just too much.

The turn is a great card for you. Now if a villain does have a queen, you are probably splitting the pot (unless they have a full house now). Raising as you did was good. However your bet of 16 is too small. I would have bet about 70%- 100% of the pot here. So about 40 cents. This is both for value and for protection. Betting small makes it too easy for someone to call.

As played you get a min-raise. Now you need to decide where you stand. You might be drawing dead to AQ or KQ. You may be behind 10J with a straight, but you are beating flush draws plus many Ax hands that might pay off here. There are a lot of scare cards that can come on the river, any heart, any 10 or J and any A or K. I would either fold now or simply move all in. There is a good chance you will get called by Ax, AK, and several drawing hands. Without a read, especially on V4, it is hard to know which would be best. Folding may be safest, but it looks like shoving will be profitable in the long run.

The important part to remember is the preflop action. Don't get sucked in to expensive pots with margianl hands.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:42 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Super Stuff!

Let us know when you pass the cash game quiz and we'll ship your next bonus to you

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 11:03 AM
(#14)
Hi Roland,

Many thanks for your analysis. My instict with that hand was to fold pre-flop but I got impatient and decided to play. I can see from what you're saying that once I'd made that mistake and got the result on the flop I should have been more aggressive - I'll take that lesson for the next time I get involved in a hand I shouldn't have played...! But overall, I realise I need to be more analystical pre-flop.

Many thanks,
Mike

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
(#15)
Hi Raiser,

Thanks for your post. I just completed the cash game lesson and passed the quiz.

Let me know what happens next.

Cheers,
Mike

Old
Sun Dec 01, 2013, 06:19 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeccfc View Post
Hi Raiser,

Thanks for your post. I just completed the cash game lesson and passed the quiz.
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Dec 26, 2013, 09:29 AM
(#17)
Hi Raiser,

It's taken me a while but I finally blew the second bankroll builder bonus - I managed to accrue 9.84 Frequent Player points so fell just short of the 10 I needed to get the next bonus and the reason for that was that I got impatient in the last hand and went for a big one...the hand is as below. The reason I went all-in was two-fold - firstly nobody in the game so far was seeing big raises, which means nothing if they have a hand of course; and secondly there was a possible draw there so I wanted to force someone waiting for a draw to pay for the privilege. Of course it backfired as the winner was holding pocket jacks and his set blew away my 2 pair. Anything I could have done differently apart from folding pre-flop?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
Mike (mikeccfc)

Old
Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:34 PM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 27, 2013, 09:58 PM
(#19)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi,

Hand Analysis

With several players left to act behind us it incrases the likelihood of a better hand to be dealt, our stack depth is short but it's still manageable to wait for a better hand without worrying about blinding out. I'd fold pre-flop. Post flop, there are 16 combos of each of these hands that could have us beat Qx AQ KQ QJ QT Q9 7x A7 K7 Q7 J7 T7 97 87 Jx AJ KJ QJ JT T9, that is a lot of hands and considering this was a limp pot it's plausible they have one of these holdings all of which may call our all in and wont be in to bad of shape from an equity standpoint...as played I'd prefer betting for value for a sizing of 2/3 to 3/4 pot size, this allows value to be made from all of their drawing hands...we want action from those hands and we can get it all in on future streets.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 06:47 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant,

Your Bankroll Builder progress is moving along nicely and you will receive your 3rd bonus later today!

Step Three

Now we really want you to up your game! Your challenge is to earn 10 VPPs after getting today's buy-in.

Note that any VPPs that you have earned up to this point won't count, only those earned AFTER you get your 3rd buy-in.

When you hit your target of 10 VPPs we will award you with your final Bankroll Builder bonus. Let us know when you reach the target.

Also, if you make a deposit at this stage we will also award you with your final bonus.

Best of Luck at the tables and let us know as soon as you have earned the 10 VPPs or if you make a deposit.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com