Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

skill or freerol to encourage spending ?

Old
skill or freerol to encourage spending ? - Mon Nov 11, 2013, 02:36 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2009
BronzeStar
when will pokerstars seriously try and get a grip of this so called skill league , in this latest edition of the ridiculous world of skill poker , in pokerstars world that should read of course , its very close to what would be the money if there was any but its points and i want them so iam being very very cautious however i find myself in the bb , iam quite low stacked but will easily make it to the points but iam dealt AA , yeh thats right i have played here before so the first thing in ps land that says is BEWARE , however i have a cunning plan as there has been only a min raise with 2 callers , i will show my aces ( thinkin to myself its handy how u are able to do that ) then shove effectively i have reraised the 300 to 2.5 k , no one can call that now can they ? turns out iam the stupid one , of course in this league of skill when confronted with an allin of aces a call with AJ is the correct move and of course in typical pokerstars fashion this idiocy is rewarded when the flop contains a jack and not wanting the drama to unfold too quickly pokerstars saves the next jack for the river
The question is this , is this league really the kind act of a comapny out to help people really understand the game while not spending money or a cynical ploy to relieve hard working ppl of their money by introducing them to a game that having used their eduational tools such as the league they will have no better , in fact a worse understanding than when they first started ? and dont be fooled that thats just the nature of things in a freeroll , of course there will always be those who regrdless of ur attempts will just shove shove shove , that does not mean that there are not things u can do to minimise it , that of course is assuming ur interest in creating such a league was to actually do " what it says on the tin "

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 04:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
ChromeStar
THIS IS A RECORDING, in the pso league your month end points are the most important, not winning the immediate game you are in, so POINTS first even if you fold the aces if it comes down to it. Then when your points are in hand go for as many as you can get. You are playing a mass of tournaments for a final result not 1 tournament where the prize is 10k or whatever. So in a reg tournament go for the win!!! In a league where month end is more valuable you take points first and foremost. It is very hard to keep your fingers off the buttons sometimes, but very very necessary.

2012 Double Bracelet Winner

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 06:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Been here almost 4 years now and you're still playing (and kvetching about) the open league?

With all the learning tools and free and (mostly) good advice available here that simple fact speaks volumes and is more an indictment of your shortcomings than that of the league or the platform that provides it and it's FREE MONEY.

Sorry for the terseness of the response but as an American who's been denied playing here for anything tangible for 2 and 1/2 years now these whine posts about the site are really getting to be rather grating and sickening. Count yourself lucky,it could be much,much worse.

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 08:56 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
well for our ermm american friend let me first say this perhaps u should reserve ur opinions for matters that concern u first and while i shouldnt have to let me explain the current position and the reason i choose to play only freerolls , for at least 2-2 1/2 years i enjoyed my poker here and while i will clearly never be a champion I WAS successful playing low stakes both mtt and sng games in fact in that time i took out approx 4-5k and all for one $10 investment so yeh while u wont be seeing me at the belagio clearly i done ok , well why wouldnt i continue playing for real money might be a perfectly fair question so i will tell u , after a fortnight night or so of running pretty poor while playing sngs i began to suspect their might be more than just bad luck and finally on one particular table they could not have made it clearer that they were cheating , i duly reprted their collusion to security and they carried out their investigation , then about a week or so later they got back to me to confirm the inevitable and that they upheld my assertion that these players and been colluding and therefor cheating and that they would be DQ from that game and i would be promoted to 1st in that game , unfortunately however this is were it gets bad and why maybe u should be grateful ur not playing real money games here and why i will never play with anyones money here but theirs , in the response from security i was informed these players had been warned as to their future conduct which i assumed was merely a clerical error because surely pokerstars would not condone such behaviour and only issue a warning , so i contacted security for clarification and was told " as it is their first time pokerstars deem it appropriate to issue just a warning on this occassion " , so let me translate that for u , i will never invest a penny , cent or anyother menial currency on a site were the policy is , go on be a cheat and u are free to do so until u get caught the first time and then u wont be able to do it again or we will punish u the second time .
The reason i play the league is not for the money i can assure u , as someone with no vpps the rewards are negligable , its the competition i play it for and therefor my post was a plea that if ps was really interested in a "skill league " then perhaps they could alter some things to make it more realistic .
Just for the record u can show this msg as proof if u would like to check any of the facts i have written about here because word for word thats what they are FACTS , but hey maybe u are quite happy to play with a site were the first cheat is FREE only u will know that

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 09:14 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2012
Sir, I just have one simple question. I someone forcing you to play at Pokerstars? These post was fartest from reality I seen in while!

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 10:15 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2013
You can't show your hole cards to the table pre flop when there is action still to take place.

All highlighting to show, and pushing the cards up will do is show the table the cards if your bet is not called by anyone, after all the players have folded and there is no further action to follow.

Old
Mon Nov 11, 2013, 10:50 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
firstly roslyn , let me clarify my intentention is to ask if ps really want a realistic skill then why not do something to make that possible and all they would have to do is open a topic on suggestions and iam sure they would be inundated and no roslyn i dont have to play here and only do so for the frees but was hoping it might be competition but as it stands there is much skill in the skill league .
Are u sure about that DANUTZ ? when u click on ur cards during game it highlights them , indicating that it is showing them to the table , but i do stand to be corrected as what u have said raises doubt in my own mind .

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 05:56 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danutz75 View Post
You can't show your hole cards to the table pre flop when there is action still to take place.

All highlighting to show, and pushing the cards up will do is show the table the cards if your bet is not called by anyone, after all the players have folded and there is no further action to follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisbonbhoys View Post
Are u sure about that DANUTZ ? when u click on ur cards during game it highlights them , indicating that it is showing them to the table , but i do stand to be corrected as what u have said raises doubt in my own mind .

Yes I am sure.

When you highlight the cards you are just selecting which you wish to show once all betting action has finished. But you can only show your cards if no further betting action is able to take place ahead of you.

For example, you have 88 on the button. There is a raise and re-raise in early position and then a shove in the cut-off. You highlight your cards to show and you fold, but as there is still action ahead of you to take place your cards will never be shown.

If however you hold 88 in the BB. Button shoves for their life and the SB calls for theirs you highlight your cards to show and fold , they will be shown. This is because there can be no further betting action as the two previous betters are already all-in.

Last edited by Danutz75; Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 06:08 AM..

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 08:47 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisbonbhoys View Post
DANUTZ
Thank you for clearing that up for me , iam more than happy to admit when iam wrong and it appears iam this time and i now understand why players behind me have called thank you .
I have one last question for u tho if u dont mind , the scenario u describe , does that remain the same if there are only 2 ppl left in the pot becuase this is were i guess my misunderstanding comes from , i was sure i had seen ppl having been raised and then showing one of their cards before folding , i dont know ifthat makes a difference or that i have just got it all wrong , either way thanks again for ur constructive reply
Yes if there is a heads-up situation then one or both players will always be able to show one or both cards but only when all action has finished. So if someone raises you and you fold, then you can show one or both cards as by folding all action finishes in that hand.

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 10:18 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
**closed**

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TOO2COO; Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com