Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder Promotion

Old
Bankroll Builder Promotion - Tue Nov 12, 2013, 04:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
I've been on PSO since January but didn't get round to taking part in the bankroll builder and then stopped playing. I'm back now and would like to take part in the bankroll builder.

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 08:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin_P View Post
I've been on PSO since January but didn't get round to taking part in the bankroll builder and then stopped playing. I'm back now and would like to take part in the bankroll builder.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 08:25 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
QQ mistake - Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:23 PM
(#4)

I'd been at the table for about 25 minutes and the other players were very loose. I was trying to get rid of a few with my opening bet but perhaps it was too weak against loose players? Anyway, I tried to cover on the flop and got desperate on the turn and went all in. The river card, as it turned out, killed me as Villain 1 got the three of a kind.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Snufkin_P; Tue Nov 12, 2013 at 12:31 PM..

Old
Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:30 PM
(#5)
I've already completed the Poker Basics assessment so I've done all 3 steps.

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 06:49 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 02:37 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Snufkin_P!

With QQ (or any other hand that I want to raise with), I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. With 3 limpers, I will raise to 12 chips. I want to keep all of my bets/raises standard, as this helps to conceal the strength of my hand. Players that bet more with better cards and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent... something that I need to avoid.

I flop an overpair to a board with straight and flush draws. I get an abnormally small bet of 4, then a call, then an abnormally small raise to 20. Bets postflop should be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 4+ opps in the hand, a standard bet is a pot-sized bet, so I will make a pot-sized raise to 154 in most cases... BUT.. this bet is over 1/3 of my stack, which means that I'm pot-committed and cannot fold. Due to this, I need to SHOVE the flop.
I do not want to bet less than the 154, as by doing so, I could be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me... and if I do so and they win, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 05:01 PM
(#8)
Thanks for the feedback John,

It is good, in the sense that it is helpful, to hear that I was too aggressive pre-flop and too passive post-flop as I think that's a feature of my play so far.

Best wishes,
Snufkin_P

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 09:18 AM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I've already completed the Poker Basics assessment so I've done all 3 steps.
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Poor Play - Tue Dec 10, 2013, 04:17 AM
(#10)
Hi,

I've passed the Cash Game quiz and watched the video. Three reasons a player may want to make a big bet are: to put pressure on the opponents, to gain value with very strong hands, and to protect against strong draws.

Here's where I made my latest loss. I had more than $2 due to freerolls and the Open League but have now lost $3.86 playing at cash tables. I keep making stupid mistakes getting caught between c-betting and folding.

Here's a earlier hand where I had QQ and I wasn't sure whether I should have raised the initial raise:

Thanks in advance,
Snufkin_P

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 10:01 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:

I'd been at the table for about 25 minutes and the other players were very loose. I was trying to get rid of a few with my opening bet but perhaps it was too weak against loose players? Anyway, I tried to cover on the flop and got desperate on the turn and went all in. The river card, as it turned out, killed me as Villain 1 got the three of a kind.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Snufkin_P!

Preflop I think your raise is fine for play money since people call so light. If this were real money 2NL, I would suggest making a standard raise of 3bb plus 1bb for each limper, about 12 in this case.

As played, you get a small bet on the flop and some callers then a raise to 20. This is good and bad for you. You are most likely ahead with your overpair. So, more money in the pot is great. However, big pairs play best against a single opponent, not againt multiple as here. Moreover, 3betting is best both to get value from your hand AND to protect your hand against possible A, K or paired board on the coming streets. The problem with 3betting is that if you get called, you will have a small amount behind for any future bet. At real money I would 3b 3x the raise, or 60 here. Being play money where you are more likely to get called, I think moving all in on the flop would be best.

As played, moving all in on the turn looks good and it turns out you were ahead at that point. You made a good decision which is all that matters. This will be very profitable in the long run. Dont stress the loss here.

Note: you said you were getting "desperate on the turn and moved all in." This is not the best way to think about the problem. You most likely have the best hand. Therefore you want to get called as this will maximize your profit.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 06:07 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Hand Evaluation - Wed Dec 11, 2013, 07:48 AM
(#14)
Thanks Roland GTX and royalraise85,

I think you evaluated my previous play money hand, which was very helpful - thank you, but I am interested in an evaluation of the two real money hands I put in this thread after that hand.

Should I put those hands in the hand evaluation forum or is someone able to evaluate them here?

Thanks for your help,
Snufkin_P

Old
Fri Dec 13, 2013, 08:47 AM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Hi,

I've passed the Cash Game quiz and watched the video. Three reasons a player may want to make a big bet are: to put pressure on the opponents, to gain value with very strong hands, and to protect against strong draws.

Here's where I made my latest loss. I had more than $2 due to freerolls and the Open League but have now lost $3.86 playing at cash tables. I keep making stupid mistakes getting caught between c-betting and folding.

Here's a earlier hand where I had QQ and I wasn't sure whether I should have raised the initial raise:

Thanks in advance,
Snufkin_P
Hi Snufkin_P! Sorry about the mixup!

With AJo, I recommend sticking to a standard opening raise of 3bb rather than 4bb as you did. On the flop, cbetting half the pot as you did looks good. However, when you get called, you need to be careful. The Q and 10 are both in the villain's range and the A on the turn does not necessarily help you. On this type of board the villain will often have a straight or two pair. You do have some showdown value with top pair though. Therefore, I would check the turn and try to check down the river as well. In general one pair hands are not strong enough to bet with on every street.

In he second hand QQ. Yes, I normally 3-bet QQ. Here in particular, 3betting would be good as it will build the pot and hopefully get at least one of the villains to fold. Big pairs play best against a single opponent. As played, you get a low flop, but their are two hearts and the cards are connected. I would suggest raising the flop. If you win the hand now there is enough in hte pot to make that a good result. Moreover, you dont want to risk a scary K or A coming on a later street.

The A on the turn is not good. It's higher than your pair of queens and it completes the flush draw. Since you have the queen of hearts, calling the turn bet may be ok. Your hand may improve on the river. However, the river is bad. Now if the villain is holding an 8, he now has trips. Big bets on the river are rarely bluffs and there aren't any likely made hands that you are beating. So, folding on the river would have been the best line.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Sat Dec 14, 2013, 06:46 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)
There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com