Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Losing full house by Quads

Old
Losing full house by Quads - Wed Nov 13, 2013, 04:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
I was a big stack bully at microstakes. I had a not that loose image , I decided to play 5 6 suited from cuttoff , the player at button (2nd largest stack , calling station ) and the big blind called , FLOP was Q5Q , I made a C-bet, both called . TURN came Q , I made a full house , I made a big bet BTN called , BB fold . I bet again at river , he called again .
It didnt cost me that much but took 1/4th of my stack .
Thank God that he didn't 3-bet me ata any stage of the hand.

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 05:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Being a big stack bully... IS.. playing extremely loose and not what I'd want to be doing.

What were the stack sizes?
What was the pot size at each point in the hand?
What were the bet sizez?

Unless these are provided, it cannot be determined which is the correct play.

What CAN be determined... is that this IS NOT a bad beat. 56 was never ahead in the hand and was definitely not ahead when the chips went in.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 05:31 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I'd like to see a replay, but I hope you realise that you only had the 10th nuts on the turn. One of the problems with playing hands like 65 is that even when you make trips, a straight, flush or full house, it's often still way behind much better hands. When you're called on the flop QQ5, you're nearly always losing. Any pocket pair above 55 is ahead, along with all Qx hands. To make a big turn bet is a big mistake, because you're never getting called by worse.
Try not to think about the absolute strength of your hand ("I have full house"), and think about its relative strength, given the action and board texture. Ask yourself if villain is ever going to continue with a worse hand when you bet. If he can't continue with a worse hand than yours, save yourself some chips by not betting.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com