Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Low stakes, but ballsy call yields big payoff

Old
Low stakes, but ballsy call yields big payoff - Wed Nov 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
BronzeStar

In 0.02/0.05 a guy makes an all in shove and I have J9s. I put him on a big pair, but I decided to nut up and make the call for all the draws my hand can make. Turns out he only has A10o, and even though he's ahead, I end up hitting a straight to take down the pot!

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 11:44 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2013
Just keep in mind in general a call like this is a long term losing play. I'm glad you won the hand but results oriented plays only tempt you into making these plays more often and in the long run they will kill your BR.

Play Strong,
PW

Old
Wed Nov 13, 2013, 11:49 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Don't worry, I would fold this hand 999/1000 times to a bet that size preflop and I do not adjust my play based on individual instances. Just made a very loose call on a gut feeling and got paid for it, this is the right section for something like that yes?

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:02 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
This isn't ballsy. This is just gambling.

And no, this isn't a brag.

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:10 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Then have someone remove the thread

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 12:20 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgeAK View Post
Just made a very loose call on a gut feeling and got paid for it?
That is exactly how bad players think. They make bad calls based on "gut feelings", and it is those bad calls that allow the better players to take them to Valuetown.
You should aim to make plays that have a positive expectation; plays with a positive expected value. Calling open shoves with J9s is not +EV. It's not a profitable play. If you made this call every single time, you'd lose your bankroll, because you called all in with the worst hand. Putting your money on underdogs is a good way to go busto. It's random gambling, so don't do it, unless you hate money.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 15, 2013, 06:04 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
I'm sorry for posting this here, I shouldn't have. I'm very new to pokerschool and was mistaken about the purpose of this section.

I would like to point out that I do not make these kind of plays regularly, I do have a basic understanding of EV and other concepts.

If it is possible I would appreciate it if this thread was removed.

Old
Fri Nov 15, 2013, 08:28 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgeAK View Post
I'm sorry for posting this here, I shouldn't have. I'm very new to pokerschool and was mistaken about the purpose of this section.

I would like to point out that I do not make these kind of plays regularly, I do have a basic understanding of EV and other concepts.

If it is possible I would appreciate it if this thread was removed.
Hi ArgeAK.

It's your call to ask for it but I see no need for this thread to be removed,nor for you to feel compelled to apologize for making it,you scooped a nice pot here,that's plenty reason enough for a brag.

Did you make a good play here,in the big picture? No,most definitely not. But you realize that,and own it,so you made a mistake,but still got paid. We've all done that and we'll all do it again. Guaranteed.

Look at it this way,this was a big win-win PLUS one more win on top experience for you...

Win: won a nice pot,but understand that your play here was not optimal.

Win-Win: Had your suspicion of it being a less than ideal play reinforced,for free,here in the school's forum. So not only a chance to learn from a mistake,but a chance to learn from a winning mistake. That's pretty +EV in my book.

Win-Win-Win: There were 7 players on that table and right now probably 3 or 4 of them have you noted as ..."donkey"..."idiot"..."fish"..."drooler"..."mupp et"...or some such and when you next see them they'll be dying to give you action. That's something that you can turn around and use on them.

Don't let this thread sour you on posting here and being a part of the school. THAT would be a truly -EV play.

Old
Fri Nov 15, 2013, 08:38 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Hi ArgeAK.

It's your call to ask for it but I see no need for this thread to be removed,nor for you to feel compelled to apologize for making it,you scooped a nice pot here,that's plenty reason enough for a brag.

Did you make a good play here,in the big picture? No,most definitely not. But you realize that,and own it,so you made a mistake,but still got paid. We've all done that and we'll all do it again. Guaranteed.

Look at it this way,this was a big win-win PLUS one more win on top experience for you...

Win-Win: Had your suspicion of it being a less than ideal play reinforced,for free,here in the school's forum. So not only a chance to learn from a mistake,but a chance to learn from a winning mistake. That's pretty +EV in my book.

Win-Win-Win: There were 7 players on that table and right now probably 3 or 4 of them have you noted as ..."donkey"..."idiot"..."fish"..."drooler"..."mupp et"...or some such and when you next see them they'll be dying to give you action. That's something that you can turn around and use on them.

Don't let this thread sour you on posting here and being a part of the school. THAT would be a truly -EV play.
+100

sounds like you know this was not a great call I have done it and I'll do it again, I'm sure in the heat of the moment and most times we will get what it deserves...

This is first and for most a school ...a place to learn not a place only for the pros.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Fri Nov 15, 2013 at 08:43 PM..

Old
Sat Nov 16, 2013, 05:39 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Hi ArgeAK.

This is quite possibly the best post I've ever read here.

Some of my biggest insight's into poker have come when I've posted like the OP thinking I was right and being told with a reason why I was wrong.

Echo Moxie's post. Keep posting, even if you are wrong. Don't be disheartened by criticism but learn from it.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Nov 16, 2013, 08:17 AM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2012
If the bad beat section exists then I definitely think this is the right place for hands like this.

We can get frustrated and or tilted when we get sucked out on or our KK loses to AA, our AA loses to KK. So when we experience a hand like this, where we know we have dished out a bad beat, then go ahead and boast and brag about it.

Its not a good long term play, and usually not even good short term, but you know that so just enjoy the result. I dont think we do that enough when we get an unexpected result.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com