Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

What is best way to play the absolute nuts in NLHE?

Old
What is best way to play the absolute nuts in NLHE? - Thu Nov 14, 2013, 10:32 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar
Recently I was a very lucky boy I flopped the complete nuts in a tournament I held the AQ of clubs and flopped 10KJ clubs!! I raised preflop and everyone folded apart from one opponent. I actually just checked the flop hoping for a raise as I knew I had an unbeatable royal flush. He placed a pot sized bet I raised him to a 4 bet He calls it. Another jack appeared this was perfect for me as he could now have a full boat or a set. I bet again and he shoves all in. I shoved back and knocked him out of the tournament is there any way I should have played this differently I got all his chips but would have liked to have kept a few more fish on my line? Ironically before he went out he called me a sucker but it didn't appear until after he was gone due to chatbox being disable in all in situations very funny indeed!!

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 11:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi plAyitK00l!

If I flop a monster like that, I normally try to check/call the flop and turn, then on the river either check/raise (if I have an aggro opp that I know will bet) or lead the river and if I get raised, then 3-bet them.

That will depend though.. based on the stack sizes and opps that are in the hand with me. If I have a passive opp, then I need to be betting. If I have an aggro opp, then I can check/call.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
Hello plAyitK00l,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

I agree with JWK here that I'm check/calling the flop, especially against an aggro villain. But each villain is different so it's hard to give a correct answer. The more aggressive opponents, let them do the betting early then put them to a tough decision on the turn or river when the pot is big. If it's a passive villain then you need to do the betting but be carefully of the sizing.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com