Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 9 Man Hyper (UTG spot)

Old
$1.50 9 Man Hyper (UTG spot) - Thu Nov 14, 2013, 07:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011

Shuv?

Ads

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 07:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Ads!

When I first saw this, my gut reaction is... this is really close. With that being the case, I went to my shove chart and for 4BB and 2 seats to the right of the button, here's the shove range that it has (42.7%) 22+, Ax+, K2s+, K6o+, Q4s+, Q8o+, J7s+, J9o+, T7s+, T9o, 96s+, 86s+ and 76s.

I then went to an ICM calculator and here's what I got from it for a shove range.... 24.6%, 22+ A2s+ A3o+ K9s+ KTo+ QTs+ JTs T9s

Since 96o is not on the list, I'm mucking and hoping that the next hand is better. If it was suited, I'd go with my chart and shove, but with it being offsuit, I need to muck.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 07:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
These spots are always quite tough. When you're so short it's tempting to shove whenever it's folded round to you.

I would probably fold in this spot though - I like to shove with at least one high card - say a J or higher - this gives much better equity against the junk that will be calling you down.

You also have one more chance to shove before the BB gets to you. You can even afford to let the blinds go through you if you keep getting complete rags. I think this is the Phil Hellmuth approach to short-stack play - and he knows a thing or two about winning tournaments!

Old
Thu Nov 14, 2013, 08:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
2 seats right of the button,in this case,means UTG,,so pre-flop we have the worst position at the table and this being a Hyper pre-flop is everything,especially with our stack. With this garbage hand AND the worst position on the table this is an auto-muck for me.

Yeah,we're short,but not quite desperately so,we can take the blinds once more before we blind off so that leaves us a few more hands at least. We're very likely to get a better spot than this,seeing as this is about as bad a spot,between both the cards and the position,that we can be in. Heck,we may even see two players bust before we're forced to do something (even though I wouldn't play for that,it does happen...).

Hand this weak and with the worst position in a Hyper (first to act pre-flop...),I'm passing.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com