Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

50c 180 man

Old
50c 180 man - Sat Nov 16, 2013, 10:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...673_68B3C9A9A1

Player 6 playing tight. What means his 2.5x raise when he has 6-7 bbs ? I thought he maybe wanted to steal but he was short so he should be in shove or fold mode. I want an explanation about his play and how I should have played this hand, thanks.

Old
Sat Nov 16, 2013, 01:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
You give no reads, but this is usually a monster if made by a good player, they raise rather than shove hoping to induce someone else to shove with a worse hand. It could also be made by a bad player who has no understanding of push/fold ranges. It's up to you to decide which type of player you face.

Old
Sun Nov 17, 2013, 08:47 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hy kykkylik

With his stack he ought to be shoving or folding preflop so when he makes a standard raise alarm bells ought to start ringing 'unless he is a maniac'.

Most players these days (fish included) know that when they have 10 big blinds or less they ought to be playing the all in or fold game so unless we have seen villain raise fold this stack size before then we must be folding all of the time.

With our stack being as shallow as it is we have next to no fold equity and shoving here is a biiiiiiig mistake. Generally when short stacks raise instead of shove they are looking for action, and action is what he got!

Cheers, Chris.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com