Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5 NL zoom 6max - Messing up with A-high in 3 bet pot - bad play?

Old
5 NL zoom 6max - Messing up with A-high in 3 bet pot - bad play? - Sun Nov 17, 2013, 01:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Plz rate the play

After reviewing this hand I’m not good enough to decide if this is a) really really bad play b) somewhat good play. Even though, should I bet the a) gets my money =)

Villain 5 hands 40/40/0, WWSF 0/1

Action explained as I saw them DURING the game

pre: I called 3 bet, because AQ is quite good and even though only 5 hands, 40/40 hints he is not the tightest

flop: Quite small raise on dangerous board, I read him weak, so I raise with gut shot. He might be scared of K.

turn: Board did not change, so no point of betting

river: flush got there (and str QJ) and I don’t think I have chance to win without bluff so I bet. Also, my raise OTF IS usually flush draw raise.

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

Button ($7.97)
SB ($2.81)
BB ($6.50)
UTG ($12.03)
Hero (MP) ($6.71)
CO ($3.33)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A, Q
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.15, 1 fold, Button raises to $0.48, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.33

Flop: ($1.03) 10, 5, K (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $0.46, Hero raises to $1.52, Button calls $1.06

Turn: ($4.07) 8 (2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks

River: ($4.07) 9 (2 players)
Hero bets $2.20

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 12:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
Hello, Brave
I don't like calling 3bet OOP with AQ, and I don't like raising cbet OTF like this. after 3rd club OTR, bet is good idea if he is capable to fold his TP as flush draw is in our hand range OTF. (after his line his hand is face up it's AK).

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 01:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
When you check the turn you basically say you have nothing, so I don't expect him to fold anything OTR.

There is a point in betting the turn because we don't rep a value hand if we check.

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 05:29 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi braveslice

I think I would reserve calling a 3bet OOP with AQo when I get more information on villain. 5 hands is nothing. 40% PFR of 5 hands means they've raised 2 out of 5 hands.

I think the general mistake of this hand is that you did not plan your hand out; you took an improvisation approach

4bet or fold pre, imo. AQs MIGHT be a call depending on how I'm feeling only because when we are suited we have more options post-flop :P ... Again, we have no information about our opponent and we are OOP.

Even though their cbet is fishy small, this is a board that I don't want to attack with just a gutshot. I can understand why you felt eager to attack their flop bet size but once they call I think we should give up especially after we checked the turn.

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 05:33 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi Shichi,

Would you consider calling with AQs?

I think there are reasons why AK is not that obvious. OTF he betted small, when the instinct most of us (me too) is to bet bigger to protect against flush and also to gain more value with confidence. And yeah, he folded OTR to 1/2 bet =) He would have hard time to fold TPTK. After I check OTT, he some cases will bet AK, as my hand might look like a draw.
I would think a hand like JJ,QQ is more likely.

Hi birdayy,

Interesting point and I don’t quite get it. When I check the turn, I say I have nothing, totally agree. But how come that leads to the case I don’t have a hand OTR?

EDIT:

yo geo,
I see now that there seems to be a fundamental error in my normal game plan. The thing is, I have thought to myself that in my level people will most likely hand to check raise is a draw and many other people have learned that too. So, when I x/r and he calls, I read that he will put me mostly to a flush draw, there is no point of trying to pursuit him thinking something else.

Last edited by braveslice; Mon Nov 18, 2013 at 05:59 AM..

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveslice View Post
yo geo,
I see now that there seems to be a fundamental error in my normal game plan. The thing is, I have thought to myself that in my level people will most likely hand to check raise is a draw and many other people have learned that too. So, when I x/r and he calls, I read that he will put me mostly to a flush draw, there is no point of trying to pursuit him thinking something else.
You said that you bet the river because there is no otherway you could win the hand; I think there's a slight false logic in that. The point is, when we bet as a bluff we want certain hands in their range to fold once we identify that we can then decide to what % our bluff would work. Here after we checked the turn and they check back it seems that their hand strength has SD value like Tx/Kx, QQ/JJ or a draw and by the river we might be bluffing a holding that they have or we could get called light because we are not credible with our turn line.

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 06:57 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2012
I hate playing OOP but I call 3bet with AQs against unknowns, may fold or 4bet against known and effective stack has to be 150bb+.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com