Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Being a beginner!

Old
Being a beginner! - Sun Nov 17, 2013, 02:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
I'm a young poker enthusiast with an interest in all the poker games.

My question is this: what is the best way to advance at different poker games? Should I learn one game to a somewhat solid standard and then start on another, or should I take two or three poker games from absolute beginner all at once?

Any advice/personal experience really welcome.

Thanks

Old
Sun Nov 17, 2013, 04:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Hello peasanth,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

Different people learn differently so it's hard to say what will work for you. I think most would do one at a time but if splitting your time between different games works then there's nothing wrong with that. What I can say is whatever you enjoy learning you will learn faster and better. My advice would be try it how you think would work best then after a set period review how well you think you've come on. If it's not working so well change it up untill you get a way that works.

Personally when I first got more serious about poker I spent the majority of my time working on one game (NLHE) but played others as a bit of fun on the side. Then when one game was taking my interest more I'd focus mainly on that but still keep some time for working on NLHE.

Perhaps some of our other members will share their thoughts?

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Cheers,

Chris

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 08, 2013, 07:51 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
If you are enthusiast then of course you should try many different poker games. They all are the same game with different emphasis, so they all help you in the long run.

Try for example: HU for making you fearsome, tournaments to pass time and make friends (and maybe drink some beer), zoom to learn abc game and regular tables to battle with maniacs and whales. If you want a substitute for drugs and Russian roulette, PLO is there for you.

You should think this through your bankroll unfortunately So maybe the fixed limit is the only choice. You will lose money most likely in every game you try before you come fluent. Learning first one game and making money from it, to support other game formats is one way to go.

Last edited by braveslice; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 07:54 PM..

Old
Tue Dec 10, 2013, 05:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I would suggest learning different games via the play money route. You risk nothing, get a feel for the game, and you can get a few ideas as to what constitutes a good hand. Since you called yourself a beginner, this has the advantage of trying out not just different games, but different styles, (turbo, hyper turbo, knockout, timed), to learn what appeals to you.

Old
Wed Dec 11, 2013, 06:30 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
BronzeStar
Hi there,
I think hyper helps to learn you a good push of fold range and playing short handed cash games helped me with my sit and go end game. So my thoughts are the more you mix it up, the more ammo you have in your box.
I am not a big fan of heads up to start with because you and your ops range has to be so wide and your best off starting with a solid hand range and progressing from there.

Gl. pp72

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com