Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.50 45 man SnGo Strange Situation with small pocket pair

Old
$1.50 45 man SnGo Strange Situation with small pocket pair - Mon Nov 18, 2013, 09:32 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Hi

We'd got to the middle stage of the tournament and I'd seen the villain make a few moves from time to time.

I thought the re-raise from the Villain was a bit strange, as it was so low so was suspicious about this and whether there was a pair in the villains hand, hence the check on the flop to try and keep the pot small, hoping to hit the 3, or another low card on the turn.

I didnt like the Ace coming - should i have folded here given that I guess I had 6 clean outs with one card to come, were the odds I was getting not good enough to call?

The bet of 2k on the river I felt was too much for me to call, if it had been smaller I might have done. I guess I got caught in two minds as to whether this was a bluff or not from the villain.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks
Chris

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=42EFDD6C50

Old
Mon Nov 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Chris!

With 44 from UTG, I'm going to open-fold here. If I was in later position, where I'd have position postflop, then I'd open it, but playing it OOP here is something that I don't want to do on this type of chip stack as it's a very awkward one for postflop play (you'll see why in a second).

I now get 3-bet by the cutoff. Here is the first problem. The opp's bet is to 680 and if I want to try to setmine to hit a 4, I need to have 15x the bet in both my stack and theirs and neither of us have this many chips. Due to this, I need to either raise or fold. If I raise, I'd need to raise to 3X their bet, but that bet would pot-commit me, so I'd be forced to shove... not a great option, as best case I'll be in a race, worst case, I'm totally dominated. If I fold, I just gave away just leaked off about 10% of my stack, which is not a good situation either.

If I did see the flop without being all-in (worst of the options), then I'm going to be stuck with a bad situation postflop too. There will be 1660 in the pot, so a standard bet is almost going to pot-commit me, which means that I'd never be able to fold. With 44, if I don't get a 4 on the flop, I'm almost always facing at least 2, if not more likely 3 overcards and with an opp that 3-bet preflop, I'm most likely behind. Do I really want all of my chips in the pot on a flop without a 4... no.

If I saw the turn (which I never would here), the opp bets 800. This bet is close to pot-committing me, but do I really have the odds to call? I need to put 800 into a pot that will be 3260 (24.5%). If all of my outs are good, I have 6 outs (two fours and four threes). From the rule of 4 and 2, my six outs are worth 12% equity. Since my pot equity is way higher (over double) than my hand equity, this is a very easy fold. The only time that I want to call bets is if my hand equity is more than my pot equity. If my hand equity is higher, I expect to gain chips by calling. If the pot equity is higher, I expect to LOSE chips by calling.. something that I do not want to do.

The key here is that on this type of stack size, from early position, I need to muck low pairs. The way that I look at this type of stack size from OOP... if I open a hand, then I need to be ready to 4-bet shove with it if I get raised.. and 44 is nowhere near strong enough to do so with.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com