Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Hi. Welcome to my classroom

Old
Hi. Welcome to my classroom - Thu Oct 10, 2002, 07:23 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
Hi. I am delighted to be an instructor at pokerschoolonline.com.

As the bio says, I play middle limit hold'em, and also spend some tie at seven card stud, stud/8 and omaha/8. I rarely play tournaments, but I feel I have a lot of expertise in ring games.

Some people have asked about the approach I have taken in my lessons. People learn different ways. My approach to hand selection and general pre-flop play is to set the context in which a hand will be played, then try to point out whihch hands fit which situations and why. Granted, this means we get to hands after talking about position and game type, but I think overall understanding will be better this way. Just listing hands which are good or "equavalent" to each other and defining the context later leads to some confusion.

Anyway, please feel free to post opinions, questions, hands, or other poker questions.

And thanks for joining me.

BarryT

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2002, 07:26 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
Welcome Barry! Will have a bunch of questions on mid limit HE for you soon enough, LOL

Later...

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2002, 09:02 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
welcome!!!!!! and i really look forward to hearing some good insight into 7 stud, as it is my favorite game, but have never had any instruction on the game.

jmuzzey

Old
Thu Oct 10, 2002, 10:14 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
Quote:
My approach to hand selection and general pre-flop play is to set the context in which a hand will be played, then try to point out whihch hands fit which situations and why. Granted, this means we get to hands after talking about position and game type, but I think overall understanding will be better this way.
I like this approach and also enjoyed the style of the first lesson I read. Teaching people how to think in reaching a decision, rather than telling them what to do.

I only wish I was into limit poker as I have heard good things about you. I did some checking up. Hope you don't mind Your ability and ideas are highly regarded by the people I asked that know you from the Ballagio. Much more so than most authors that teach limit poker. I will certainly be keeping your lessons just in case I ever get back into limit poker again. Listen to this man people. He has a lot to offer.

Old
Hi. Welcome to my classroom - Fri Oct 11, 2002, 12:27 AM
(#5)
Deleted user
Thanks. I am certainly not trying to convert anyone to limit poker, but my general direction (do a lot of thinking about why you are doing things and what others may be thinking as well) is pretty generic. That's why I think we can chat about Omaha and Seven card stud as well, even though I am playing a lot of hold'em these days.

I sure do not mind that you "checked me out." No one much knows who I am. I am not a famous author or Mad Genius or previous columnist. I am just a guy who plays poker for a living these days, and enjoys talking about poker stuff.

Best,
BarryT

Old
Fri Oct 11, 2002, 01:03 AM
(#6)
Deleted user
Post flop stuff would also be good at some point. Most limit learning material is concerned with preflop. It would really give school members an advantage over other players if they developed post flop skills. May even get me re-interested in limit

Old
Hi. Welcome to my classroom - Fri Oct 11, 2002, 04:58 AM
(#7)
Deleted user
Post-flop stuff is what I plan to feature. I really feel pre-flop play, once the basic parameters are understood, is relatively straight-forward. Too many players spend too much time on this area, and never delve into post-flop strategy, which is where the real money is.

After the first six lessons, we will get there. Any specific questions we can address here.

BarryT

Old
Fri Oct 11, 2002, 01:03 PM
(#8)
Deleted user
Quote:
Any specific questions we can address here.
In poker one (IMO) should play as if one were "the house". This means that one essentially only plays when having "the best of it" and of course figuring out when that is the case isn't trivial.

In Limit Hold 'Em this involves putting chips in when one is getting the odds to warrant doing so: even if this makes a huge variance factor. In the extreme, one should take 20 to 1 odds when one is "only" a 19 to 1 dog!

The Standard Deviation that this guarantees is so large that one can be deluded into thinking oneself a winning player for the apparently obvious reason that one is winning, but this is not actually the case. After 70 years of play I am convinced that the most common delusion among poker players is that they are winners, even though they play bad. After all, somebody wins the lottery almost every week but if this were "lottery school online" there would be little to discuss in a forum such as this because even if the winner of a big keno payout selected numbers via family birthdates (which is common), it is absurd to think that any advice other than "don't play lotteries/keno" makes sense.

Old
Mon Oct 21, 2002, 10:14 PM
(#9)
Deleted user
I've had the pleasure of meeting Barry T four or five times and have listened to him once or twice when I have the opportunity to attend the Wednesday afternoon Las Vegas poker discussion group.

He always leaves me with something new to consider or a new light in which to view an old topic.

He will be a fine addition to PSO.

I think I can say, without reservation, that if you ignore the lessons he has to offer it will be to your own detriment.

Aggie83
College Station, TX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com