Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Holiday Gift Corner

Old
Holiday Gift Corner - Wed Nov 20, 2013, 06:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
It looks like the section my discount gift post thread was in got closed, and so did the thread, so this thread's just a continuation of this one:

Some Crafts You can Make When You're Card Dead

Old
Wed Nov 20, 2013, 06:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
It looks like the section my discount gift post thread was in got closed, and so did the thread, so this thread's just a continuation of this one:

Some Crafts You can Make When You're Card Dead

Hi Trusty,

It wasn't closed intentionally, but what I did notice was that it was in the 'Womens Section' which is no longer an active forum so members couldn't post there.

I've just moved the thread into an active forum so members should be able to reply to the original thread now

Very sorry for the inconvience, I think the thread topic is a very nice idea

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Nov 20, 2013, 07:04 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Gift Idea (Time Sensitive)

Okay, this is gift idea has kind of a long, drawn-out preamble, but if you just two-table like me and are bored and looking for something on the side to pass the time ...

So like, back when I was still in school, I did a bunch of volunteer work at places like the Veteran's wing of a local hospital, and tutoring for the Children's Aid Society. And funny thing, but I kind of wound up feeling like I got more out of the experience than the people I was helping, because they'd face so much adversity in life, but yet had such a great zest for life ... it was inspiring, infectious!!

Sometimes when you give money, you don't get that same chance to interact with people and have that give and take. But there's a non-profit on the internet that let's you pick specific people to lend money too, which gives you progress updates, so ... there's a bit of an interaction with a specific individual, and you get to hear their story. Most of the people asking for loans are entrepreneurs, with a high degree of initiative and drive, and since it's a loan rather than a donation, you actually get your money back at the end. Here's a little description to give you a better sense of who's asking for loans:

This is going in the 'gift idea' section, because there's a Groupon for this site - like if you buy a $25 credit, you get two to lend out, and eventually you (or your gift recipient) will get back $50. It looks like it's an offer the non-profit's making in hopes people might go out on a limb and give their site a try, and will hopefully find it rewarding? I'd heard of kiva before from people, but had never tried it before myself, so now seems like the perfect time. And the coupon's good for another year, so maybe that might be another way to support the rebuilding efforts in the Philippines as people might start looking for loans in the months to come? There's lots of other places in the world too

Here's the link to the Toronto offer, but it seems to be available for all the Groupon sites in North America:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/kiva

There's a slight risk of default, and you lose the time value of money, but ... as far as 'donating' money goes, especially with the Groupon ... the price can't be beat I guess

Hope this post made sense and wasn't too confusing

PS Oh, by the way - Groupon doesn't say how much longer this offer'll be available, so it might be soon

Last edited by TrustySam; Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:20 AM..

Old
Wed Nov 20, 2013, 07:05 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Ok thanks Raiser!!

PS Your continued generosity with donations was part of what inspired me to make the post above

Last edited by TrustySam; Wed Nov 20, 2013 at 07:12 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com