Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Micro Millions 043 - 6Max

Old
Micro Millions 043 - 6Max - Wed Nov 20, 2013, 09:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
First of all sorry to post this hand with boom link but i couldnt find the HH

Player 5: VPIP: 56 PFR: 27 (Hands: 38)
Player 2: VPIP: 22 PFR: 18 (Hands: 53)

Here is the link: http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...050_66AB8A0321

How could i play this hand?

Regards

Old
Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Personally (but I'm a nit box), this is Level 3 of an MTT, There is a raise by a player I would describe as a TAG in early position which to me means strength, and a call by a LAG on the button (lets be honest all we know is he got dealt two cards)

Sure we have two Broadway cards thats a plus but

we are out of position minus

We are against 2 opponents minus

The better of the two opponents opened from early position minus

With all of this Personally I would have folded Preflop.

With these % of raises from Villain 2 what can we beat (and thats only if he is positionally unaware we might be ahead of J9 or Q9 but given what we are behind or flipping with this is a fold Preflop I think.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Genocide32!

With QJo in the SB, I get a standard raise and a call. My initial instinct here is to muck, especially OOP, but I'm going to check the numbers on it.

I go to pokerstove and will use an 18% range for the opener and 56% for the other opp. I see that QJo only has 28% equity against these ranges. If villain 5's range is tighter than 56% (since they called a raise and not just limped) then my equity will be even less.
I also could end up in a 4-way pot because the BB will be getting very good odds if I call, which will considerably drop my hand equity even more.

Due to this, I'm going to muck preflop as I'm going to be losing the pot about 3 in every 4 times and even if I hit the flop, I won't know if I'm ahead or behind if I flop one pair (the most likely outcome if I hit the flop). When playing from the SB, I try to only play hands where I can raise preflop, as I need to have a stronger hand since I'm out of position postflop.
---
If I saw the flop (which I would not), when I see that I flop two pair, I absolutely must make a standard value bet as a lead bet on the flop. With 2 opps in the hand, I need to bet 2/3 pot or 267. I cannot bet less than this or check as I can be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If I do so and lose, then it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

If I lead the flop, when I turn a full house, here is the one place where I can check/call. I do not want to check two streets in a row. If I check the flop, then I need to make a standard value bet on the turn (but I would not be checking the flop).

On the river, with 2 opps still in the pot, I once again will make a standard value bet of 2/3 pot if both opps are still in or 1/2 pot if only one opp is left.
When I get raised on the river, I need to make a standard raise, which is to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise (if pot is larger). I will not raise to a smaller amount and will be ready to call a shove by the opp.

The keys with this hand are to first off, fold a marginal hand preflop when OOP, but on the flop, I absolutely need to make a standard value bet on the flop. Both to get value for my hand and to get information about the opp's holdings.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com