Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6max zoom - Flopped K flush - 4 monotone on river - shove/call?

Old
5NL 6max zoom - Flopped K flush - 4 monotone on river - shove/call? - Wed Nov 20, 2013, 04:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Villain 2 hands! 50/0/0 - note: called blinds J7s.

1. Should I call the river bet?

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

Button ($4.68)
SB ($4.75)
BB ($5.38)
UTG ($5.61)
Hero (MP) ($5.85)
CO ($8.10)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K, Q
UTG raises to $0.15, Hero calls $0.15, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.37) 5, 3, 8 (2 players)
UTG bets $0.20, Hero raises to $0.66, UTG calls $0.46

Turn: ($1.69) 7 (2 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $1.24, UTG calls $1.24

River: ($4.17) 4 (2 players)
UTG bets $3.56 (All-In)

Old
Wed Nov 20, 2013, 06:02 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
You have the third nuts - but I would still fold here.

In general at 2NL or 5NL, people almost always have the nuts when they play so passively then barrel on the river.

Given his UTG open, 7s6s is very unlikely. Also he would've continued to be aggressive agsinst your action with this holding as he would want to protect against his baby flush.

This hand plays exactly like he had As. His UTG open range might be AT+, he Cbet the flop with the nut flush draw, then didn't fold hoping he would catch it. Once he did catch it, he shoved for value.

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 03:52 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Tough spot!

You need to be ahead about 30% of the time to make calling +ev. It seems highly likely that the villain has a flush. Is the villain opening utg with hands spades that you are beating? J10s, 109s and perhaps a few other Jx, 10x hands might be possible. Ax hands seem a larger portion of his range. Yet, his line is quite strong, especially the all in bet on the river. Would he do this with the non-nut flush?

Without a better read on the villain, I think I would fold and wait for a better spot. It does seem pretty close though.

Note: as played, your flop raise is pretty heavy. Normally I would make it a bit more than , but less than 2.5x, slightly under the pot size. Or, simply call and bet/raise the turn.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 09:10 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
I think it's a fold purely for the reason we have the K and Q of spades blocker. That means that he'd have to be donk shoving the Js for us to be ahead, which I believe is extremely unlikely.

There is also some straight flush combos out there.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com