Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5 NL zoom 6max - Raise war with Khigh flush draw - at what point I made mistake?

Old
5 NL zoom 6max - Raise war with Khigh flush draw - at what point I made mistake? - Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Villain first hand, but not stacked full -> not regular

Did I play it good?

Just felt later that it wasn't wise let me to the position where I was going AI with flush draw. There was a chance that K was still good, maybe 50%?, so I had around 10.5 outs if he had a hand.

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button ($10.46)
SB ($3.72)
Hero (BB) ($6.13)
UTG ($11.39)
MP ($10.92)
CO ($4.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 7
2 folds, CO raises to $0.10, 1 fold, SB calls $0.08, Hero calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.30) 5, Q, 6 (3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $0.15, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.50, CO raises to $1.15, Hero raises to $2.50, CO raises to $4.80 (All-In), Hero calls $2.30

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 02:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi braveslice!

If this is Zoom, how can it be the villain's fist hand? He isn't in the bb, you are. Moreover, isn't max buyin at 5NL 100bb for $5? Regardless, you don't have a read/notes on him.

I suggest folding K7s preflop since it doesn't play well postflop. The gap between your cards makes straight draws impossible. You don't have the A of clubs meaning you won't be drawing to the nut flush either. If you flop a 7 you will rarely have top pair. And if you flop a K, you won't know if your kicker is good. In addition, you will be oop all hand.

As played, you get a decent flop with a flush draw. I prefer calling the c-bet and reevaluating on the turn. Raising with a semi-bluff gets you value owned here. It may win you the pot all the times you are ahead, but if you get 3b, you should fold. You are not getting good odds to continue, especially when you are not drawing to the nut flush. I prefer calling the c-bet. Then on the turn, you can check-fold or check-call. If the villain checks behind you might then be able to make a bluff bet on the river if you haven't improved.

3bets postflop are generally going to be strong hands. We cannot be sure any club or K is a good out for you. Continuing with the hand past this point is costing you money in the long run.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 04:20 AM
(#3)
Hi Roland,

“If this is Zoom, how can it be the villain's fist hand?” – First hand against me. Is there a strict poker jargon definition for first hand?

“He isn't in the bb, you are. Moreover, isn't max buyin at 5NL 100bb for $5?” – I don’t get these.

PRE I have insane pot odds, 5:1, isn’t it a bit nitty not to call this. K9 suited surely?

I wonder if you could say a typical flop you would consider semi bluffing with this hand?

EDIT: Or is the whole idea of semi bluff raising OOP, when you have "stacking villain"-value, wrong?

TY

Last edited by braveslice; Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 05:06 AM..

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 05:07 AM
(#4)
I read your post as meaning the villain was not a reg because it was his first hand and he didnt have a full stack. It looks like he does have a full stack, and I didnt understand how we knew it was his first hand. If there is a poker term for first hand I don't know it. Any suggestions...

Pre it doesn't matter how great your odds are if you have a hand that is tough to play postflop. For example, if the whole table limped in and I was in the sb with 72o, I would still fold my hand. K8s+ is much better than K7 because now at least a straight draw is possible. I would want K10s to call here personally.

I don't think there are many flops I would semi-bluff K7s. Perhaps something like where I have bottom or middle pair AND am drawing the nut flush AND have some marginal straight outs to boot. On the Q56 flop above, I might semi-bluff with AK of clubs where I am drawing to the nut flush and have two overs.

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 05:13 AM
(#5)
Good answer, I think it's mostly clear for me now. TY.

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 05:15 AM
(#6)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com