Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5 NL zoom 6max - Tunr and River decision with set

Old
5 NL zoom 6max - Tunr and River decision with set - Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:54 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Villain 33 hands. 25/19/9 -> probably regular. WWSF:6/10, WTSD:7/10, WSD:4/7

Is this obvious flush he has?

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Button ($5.40)
SB ($22.20)
BB ($5.65)
UTG ($5)
Hero (MP) ($5.19)
CO ($2.87)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7, 7
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.15, 3 folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) Q, 5, 2 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.18, BB calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.68) 7 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.46, BB raises to $1.25, Hero calls $0.79

River: ($3.18) 6 (2 players)
BB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

Total pot: $6.18 | Rake: $0.26

Results below:
Click to show hidden text

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 02:56 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi braveslice

Everything looks good up to the turn. Now you have a set, but a flush is possible and you are assuming this guy is a reg. What hands would the villain call with that you are beating in this spot? He is probably folding most hands that you are beating. Moreover, you may improve to a full house on the river. If he does have a flush, you might win a big pot off him. I prefer to check behind on the turn and reevaluate on the river. Since we have kept the villain's range wide with this line, we will be able to call a river bet.

As played, calling the turn raise is going to be read dependent. But I think you need to fold to the river bet for sure. He is not bluffing with this line.

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 03:45 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
Hi Roland!

Great you find my turn bet to be a mistake; it wasn't even doubted by me.

OTT he will call hands I beat: {KQ,AQ,55,22,Acx}?

Your line gives me easy play on the river so I see the merits of it. But aren’t you basically saying OTT that be scared of the flushes? Just the opposite what the books say?

I try to fold river next time, but those odds are so tempting.

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 04:30 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Depending on the opponent, I might check a turn flush hoping to check-raise, or I might lead out. So, I don't really feel like Im telling the opp that Im scared of the flush. But, yes, I see your point

However, my primary strategy at 5NL is to create situations where I can stack my opponent. Rather than winning a small pot by betting the turn and forcing non-flush hands to fold, I would check. One, it takes away the villain's raising option in case we are behind. Two, it keeps his range wide. And three, we can now call a river raise as it will cost about the same as betting myself on the turn. Yet, as I said, if we make a full house on the river we will quite often win his entire stack. I want to be getting all in with confidence rather than bluff catching. I'm pretty tight at 10NL and lower though since I tend to focus primarily on value betting.

Roland GTX

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com