Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2Nl FR CG - set against A

Old
2Nl FR CG - set against A - Thu Nov 21, 2013, 10:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2011
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I bet the flop to find out if he hit something / going try to catch the color. When I hit the set I had two options. He either has a A or still trying to catch the flush.

My question is about the river and my betting. What would be your bet size on the river? would you bet more? I bet that amount because if he played the Ace, he will call (and he did). If he was trying to catch flush, he missed, very like he would fold.

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 11:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogger1999 View Post
I bet the flop to find out if he hit something / going try to catch the color.
Hey, I don't think this reason is good enough to c-bet the flop. It's more likely we are vs top pair. Flush draws are very unlikely.

I would check till the showdown. As played further its ok. Well betting a bit more - 30ct on the turn. And 2/3 of the pot at river.

Last edited by morduk666; Thu Nov 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 06:14 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Rogger1999,

I think cbetting the flop has its merits so is checking back; it depends on your general game plan and the villain. I would probably cbet the flop myself with 88 as a general rule of thumb. Betting the turn for value goes without saying and I think I would prefer a bigger river bet size because as you said if they have an A they will call and if they had a missed draw they would fold no matter what the bet size.

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 02:08 PM
(#4)
I definitely would not check until showdown but thanks for your oponion

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
(#5)
Varta thanks for you advice!

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 08:22 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
I like the Cbet - it helps to balance our range if we Cbet both with and without the A and the CBet will often take down the pot there and then.

Once villain calls the CBet and you spike your set, I'd be betting bigger on the turn and river. It is now very likely that villain has an A and probably isn't looking to fold it. Therefore you should try to extract more value with closer to pot-sized bets.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com