Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

0.55 750 Gtd regular tourney playing 79s

Old
0.55 750 Gtd regular tourney playing 79s - Thu Nov 21, 2013, 05:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=E04524AF07

analyze this hand please. thank you

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:17 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
presuming you were going with your reads there, you played it well you had position, charge the big club to draw on the turn and hit the best card in the deck for a nice pay off,

what was your play if a different club had hit on the river?

well played,

how did the rest of the tourny go?

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 01:20 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi sapines1001!

With 79s from the cutoff and two limps in front of me, especially if the button is passive, I'm more than happy to call and try to flop a monster since I'm deepstacked.

I flop a flush draw (gutshot SF draw) and get a bet and a call in front of me on a paired board. To call, I need to put 120 into a pot that will be 660 (18.2%). IF all of my outs are good, then calling here is a very marginal-at-best play, as it's basically breakeven. However, if any of the opps has Tx, then at least one of my outs are counterfeited, maybe all but one. Each out that is counterfeited costs me 2% equity, so instead of being at 18.2%, I can very easily be at 16.2%. This makes it so that I do not have the correct odds to call this bet and need to fold on the flop due to the paired board.

If I saw the turn (which I would not), when I hit the flush and the opps check to me, I need to make a standard value bet. With 2 opps in the pot, I need to bet 2/3 pot (440). I cannot bet less or I can be giving the opps the correct odds to outdraw me. If I do so and lose to a full house or higher flush, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

The river card gives me the nuts and when an opp leads into me for 1/2 their stack, I'm definitely raising and putting them all-in.

I got really lucky with the river here as there were multiple mistakes earlier in the hand. I paid too high of a price to stay on the flop (called a bet when I was priced out), then priced the opp in on the turn by betting too small when I hit the flush. These are two things that I do not want to do in hands and need to avoid in the future.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 03:56 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
thank you john. in fact it is not my hand. i prefer to fold this hand and also small pairs pre-flop because i play very tight in the early phase and only play hands like AK+QQ+... . can you please explain a bit about early phase? if there is a raise should i call with 79s?

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 04:09 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'm happy with calling preflop here with it as everyone is deepstacked, especially if the opps are going to play passively (but to know that, I'd need a read which I may not have early in a tourney).

For calling a raise with 79s, I would do it IN position and only if there are a number of other opps that have called the raise... so that I get the correct pot odds to continue. I need to make sure that I have a +EV play in order to call and also need everyone to be very deep stacked as I do not want to call if doing so will be a considerable % of my stack.

If the other opps were known to fold to raises, I could also raise with 79s here as a semi-bluff too. However, I'd need to know that the opps know where their fold button is and will fold a high % of the time (over 50-66% of the time).

The problem with this hand as played, is that the bet on the flop priced me out, so I need to fold. If the opp had bet less or checked (so that I get a +EV play to draw), I'm more than happy to call to try and get a flush.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com