Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL Zoom, folding AA on the turn?

Old
2NL Zoom, folding AA on the turn? - Thu Nov 21, 2013, 07:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
Here is a hand I encountered in my last 2nl zoom session :

Edit : the right hand is in post #6

Very random zoom villain since I only had 5 hands on the guy.
The villains betting action (limp-call pre, check-call otf, check raise ott) screamed set. I didn't want to pay the guy off and have to face a bet on the river.

Was it a good fold?

Last edited by simonrdr; Fri Nov 22, 2013 at 05:13 PM..

Old
Thu Nov 21, 2013, 07:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Have you posted the right hand here? This is an MTT hand and your questions don't really make much sense with how the hand played out...

I have no idea why you called the turn shove with Ace high on that board though.

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 01:38 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
lol that AK hand couldn't have been played worse OTT.

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 07:20 AM
(#4)
Wait... this is def not the right hand! This is the misclick from my blog! I will post the right hand later today! Sorry guys!

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I look forward to seeing the correct hand but yeah, misclick is the only good excuse for the turn call here.

Check/fold flop, c/f turn imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 03:07 PM
(#6)
I can assure you that was a misclick. It was actually the subject of a blog post I did last week!
Anyways, here is the hand in question!

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 03:40 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Villain's line is exactly how 2NL FR players play small/medium pairs: Limp-call pre, check-call flop, check-minraise turn. He pretty much has 88, 66 or 33 every time, so I think you made a good fold.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Villain's line is exactly how 2NL FR players play small/medium pairs: Limp-call pre, check-call flop, check-minraise turn. He pretty much has 88, 66 or 33 every time, so I think you made a good fold.
^^This. I think the fold is fine.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 22, 2013, 05:37 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I wouldn't use these terms
I often did see newbies limp with A-rag, calling hoping to catch an ace, or calling because their 2 cards are bigger than the cards on the table and hoping to catch or calling because they have 1 pair with an A high.
Knowing you'll win 90% of the time with Pocket AA, it's sometimes worth the $$
But without any information on the player, it's pretty hard to come to a conclusion.

I did check that player with a hand history to find out is ability is very low, so I would be more inclined towards A-rag that caught is second card.

just my 2 cents

Old
Sat Nov 23, 2013, 10:57 AM
(#10)
@ Sandtrap
You think villain would check-raise bluff with 2 overcards on the turn? I don't think it was worth a stack to find out anyway...

Old
Sat Nov 23, 2013, 11:28 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrdr View Post
@ Sandtrap
You think villain would check-raise bluff with 2 overcards on the turn? I don't think it was worth a stack to find out anyway...
I did say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
But without any information on the player, it's pretty hard to come to a conclusion.
It's funny how everybody talks about stats they get from a HUD, how many people swear by those numbers and how one play is standard etc etc.

But when a stat such as AA winning +/- 90% of the time and people are not willing to play it. Sure you'll lose some, but on the long run, you'll be ahead.

In this particular hand, you're not giving much info on the player, I personally don't like your bet sizing post flop, yes you played it standard, but this is 2NL and against a limper and yes personally, I'm shoving on the turn, because I think I'm ahead.

He could also have QQ or KK and the fact that his 2 cards are higher than the flop cards he's happy in min raising. He might think you have a set, so he's keeping the pot small. There's so many possibilities, but not that many are sets. I like my odds.

Old
Sat Nov 23, 2013, 06:48 PM
(#12)
@Sandtrap

That is for sure an interesting way of seeing the hand. It is true that we could be up against QQ or KK, although I have to say that I'm not used to seeing a lot of limping from EP with KK or QQ in 2NL. But assuming we could be up against these hands, that would give us 12 combinations of KK/QQ we could beat, vs the 12 remaining possible combinations of 33/66/88/JJ, and that would make shoving +EV?

On what street did you not like my bet sizing? Would you have bet bigger?

Old
Sat Nov 23, 2013, 10:25 PM
(#13)
Quote:
@Sandtrap
But assuming we could be up against these hands, that would give us 12 combinations of KK/QQ we could beat, vs the 12 remaining possible combinations of 33/66/88/JJ, and that would make shoving +EV?
In reality, there's more than 12 combinations we could beat. There's 12 combination that beat us, while all the others we beat

Quote:
On what street did you not like my bet sizing? Would you have bet bigger?
Yes, on the flop I would of bet $0.30. Your bet was very standard, but at 2NL and with a limper, is play wasn't standard and therefore my play wouldn't of been either

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com