Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

MicroMillions 76 $2.20 - how should I play this middle pair?

Old
MicroMillions 76 $2.20 - how should I play this middle pair? - Fri Nov 22, 2013, 06:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Middle stages of the micro millions. I wasn't that concerned with the 3 bet, I had been at the table with this villain for a couple of hours and seen him call off 30BB's against 2 all-ins in the same hand with A8o/s so had him down as a loose player.

Given the potential flush on the flop, I would be looking to bet around 6k, but this would leave me with a half size pot bet if I only got one caller (worse if they both called).

Should I just shove on the flop?

Thanks
Chris

Old
Sat Nov 23, 2013, 01:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Chris!

With 77 in the cutoff, I'm going to make a standard opening raise, which for this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. With no limps, I'll raise to 1250.

I now get called by the button and 3-bet to 2X my bet by the BB. While I would like to call to setmine, my stack is not deep enough to do so, as I do not have 15X in my stack. I have 15X my bet of 1250, but not 15X 2500. This takes calling out of the equation for me so I either need to re-raise or fold. If I 4-bet, this will be enough to pot-commit me, so I now have the decision to either shove or fold.

The key for me here is a read on the button.
I'd be happy to shove against the loose opp, as against their range, I'd be in a flip and with the extra chips due to the blinds/antes/button's call of my bet, I'd be making a +EV shove IF I was up against one opp.
However, this may not be the case. If the button stays (I'll give them a 6% range because they'd have to like their hand against two opps). This drops my hand equity down to 25% and since my pot equity is higher than 25%, I need to fold.

With this being the case, if I think that the button will call a shove, then I need to fold to the 3-bet. If I think the button will fold, then I'll 4-bet shove. It all will be determined by my read on the button.
-------------
As played, when I see that I hit middle set, I need to make a value bet. With 2 opps still in the hand, I need to bet 2/3 pot in order to price out the flush draw... but this bet basically pot-commits me, as I'll have to put 1/3 of my remaining stack into the pot. Since I'm going to be pot-committed, I'm shoving the flop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 07:02 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
Hi John

Thanks for the analysis. I should have added that my read on the button was that he was a tight player, and would have folded to any pre-flop shove I made, he had been at the table a while and had only shown aggression with premium hands. I guess I need to keep looking at that 15x stat for any set mining.

Given I had hit the flop I actually wanted to get it all in against the loose player (and maybe even pre-flop), but the flush potential worried me a little.

I shoved on the flop and they both folded.

I am regularly getting to the middle stages of tourneys (and min-cashed this one) but struggling to get further - any advice as to where I can do some more learning?

Thanks
Chris

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com