Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

MicroMillions 76 $2.20 - how do I play A10s from the BB in this position?

Old
MicroMillions 76 $2.20 - how do I play A10s from the BB in this position? - Fri Nov 22, 2013, 06:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Middle stages of the MTT. Once there had been a 3x raise (from UTG+1 and a PS supernova ranked player to boot!), my initial plan was to 3bet fold to any 4bet/jam as I really didn't want to be playing this hand firstly OOP, and secondly against someone who has probably seen more flops than I have taken breaths on this earth.

However, the call from the SB put me off slightly as I didn't want two players to have the chance to jam over the top of any raise I made. So I called to re-assess on the flop.

What should I do against the c-bet?

Thanks
Chris

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 07:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Folding is good at flop i guess. But i would have choosen between open fold or 3bet not flatting.If this guy used to minraise and now gos for 3x open, i would defenetly fold this, you really cant flat in this spot, youre OOP and UTG ranges has your AT dominated most of the times and if not you aint gonna get paid it out neither, so you basically never win a big pot without hitting flush/straight and you aint hitting flush/straights that often to make it a good call , but if its standard raise for this guy and i would like to 3bet in this spot i would do something like 4K-5K 3bet. I think smallblind has pretty weak ranges there so i wouldnt be worried and if he ends up 4bet shove, then its obviously slowplayed AA or something like that. In this spot i think open fold would be best, just this 3x open seems pretty strong and if you 3bet to like 4.5K and SB shoves i dont think you can really fold to SB there.

Last edited by bungakat; Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: .

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 09:34 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Chris!

With ATs from the BB, I get an open from UTG+1 to 3BB, then a call from the SB. While most supernovas are extremely good players, don't judge them just by the number of stars they have. Stars can be bought. In my notes, I actually have one nova that I have labeled as totally clueless at NLHE (probably an expert at another game, just not NLHE tourneys) and I also have plenty of bronze stars that I have labeled as pros.

It costs me only about 20% pot equity to call and ATs definitely has that much equity, even in a 3-way pot, so I can definitely call and see the flop. I could also raise, but with 2 opps (no reads given on how often they 4-bet or would fold to a 3-bet).. so while I could do this, I'm just going to opt to call the majority of the time. If the opps have shown a tendency to fold to 3-bets, I would make a standard 3-bet and hope to end up in a HU pot.

The flop is very coordinated, but I do hit top pair. Here is where I would like a read on villain 5's PFR... are they playing loose or tight? The reason for it is that this will be the determining factor in what I do. If the opp is playing very tight, then I'm going to check and fold to a c-bet as I'm most likely outkicked or worse. If the opp is playing loose, then I'm going to lead the flop and make a standard 3/4 pot value bet (I need to bet 3/4 instead of 2/3 due to the wet board) and will bet 3780. If the opp comes over the top, then it's an easy fold for me. I don't really want to check/call the flop as I'll be stuck OOP again on the turn and be in the same position on the turn.. but I'll probably be playing for the rest of my stack because a standard bet on the flop will pot-commit me, with no additional information on what the opp may be holding.

The majority of the time here, I'm going to call preflop, then lead the flop with a standard value bet.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 06:04 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
Thanks again both. Just realised that I didn't show the action on the flop. SB and I checked, original raiser put in a bet of just over 4k, to which SB and I folded.

I had no read on the original raiser as he had not been at the table long, but his standard raise was 3x. He had also not go to showdown so I hadn't seen anything he was playing. I figured with those stars he would be a decent player and therefore gave him the benefit of the doubt with the potential flush and also the probability of my ATs being out kicked.

So if the view is to see the flop then make the bet of 3780 or so, wouldn't it be better to have put this bet in pre-flop to stop the opponent having the opportunity of hitting anything? ie would they be more likely to fold before or after the flop? (Sorry that I have no stats on the players to help out)

Thanks
Chris

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 06:26 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fant_fox372 View Post
So if the view is to see the flop then make the bet of 3780 or so, wouldn't it be better to have put this bet in pre-flop to stop the opponent having the opportunity of hitting anything? ie would they be more likely to fold before or after the flop?
The only way that I'd want to raise preflop is if I think that one or both of the opps would fold preflop. Readless or if my read says they will not fold, all that raising preflop will do is to bloat the pot, which puts me in an even worse situation on the flop.... because any bet would have to be much larger and I don't want to be playing for my whole stack if I can easily be behind.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com