Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

When do we want to cold call preflop?

Old
Default
When do we want to cold call preflop? - Sat Nov 23, 2013, 08:26 AM
(#1)
morduk666's Avatar
Since: Aug 2011
Posts: 84
Most of the time it's a 3bet/fold right?

What about other cases? We setmine when we have right odds. We overcall with SC if situation justify it.

Question that buggs me is the spots with broadway hands:

(AQ,AK,AJ). Are we folding those? It is very villain dependent but in general - maybe it is profitable to try see a flop and outkicker someone's TP?
 
Old
Default
Sat Nov 23, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#2)
JWK24's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 24,817
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi morduk666!

With broadway hands, especially the lower aces (AJ, AT), to balance my range some, I will call with them instead of 3-betting when I'm IN position. The key for me is being in position. If I'm OOP, then if I call preflop, I need to be ready to lead the overwhelming majority of flops as I either want to have position or the initiative in the hand.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)


Super-Moderator



6 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 04:08 AM
(#3)
Praydk's Avatar
Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 504
what about being in the blinds with AT-AQ, KQ,
suppose villain is stealing wide and has a high fold to 3bet
do we just call then lead flops? if so, what flops?
or given his wide range we are better of 3betting?
 
Old
Default
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 04:26 AM
(#4)
birdayy's Avatar
Since: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,179
AJs is much better to cold call than AJo
 
Old
Default
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 05:11 AM
(#5)
bhoylegend's Avatar
Since: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praydk View Post
what about being in the blinds with AT-AQ, KQ,
suppose villain is stealing wide and has a high fold to 3bet
do we just call then lead flops? if so, what flops?
or given his wide range we are better of 3betting?
If villain steals wide and folds to 3bets then I am going to 3bet non-premium hands OOP.

We miss most flops so why do we want call, be OOP and have no initiative when we can 3bet and get a fold. If he calls our 3bet we can represent a lot more on most flops than when we just call. If he 4bets, we can fold.
 
Old
Default
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 06:43 AM
(#6)
Praydk's Avatar
Since: Mar 2012
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
We miss most flops so why do we want call
Because we shape his range towards hands that beat us when we 3bet a guy that folds to 3b often. Or isn't shaping his range the main issue when we are oop, and should we focus more on getting the money pf rather than having equity against his range?
 
Old
Default
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 08:12 AM
(#7)
mike2198's Avatar
Since: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi morduk666!

With broadway hands, especially the lower aces (AJ, AT), to balance my range some, I will call with them instead of 3-betting when I'm IN position. The key for me is being in position. If I'm OOP, then if I call preflop, I need to be ready to lead the overwhelming majority of flops as I either want to have position or the initiative in the hand.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Hi John when your OOP what flops are you leading with?
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com