Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Sitters problem in Skill Tournaments

Old
Question
Sitters problem in Skill Tournaments - Sat Nov 23, 2013, 08:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
I am sure I'm not the only one who is fed up with the people who sign up for the Poker School Skill games and proceed to sit out and not play a single hand during the tournament.

There must be something that can be done about these frequent "sitting out" players. I have noticed quite a few of the same names sitting out in various tournaments that I have taken part in.

Its particularly frustrating when they sit out the skill games with the player limit on the tourneys, they are taking up seats that other players who are going to actually play the game could be using.

There must be something that can be done, the software is trackable, so those frequent sitters must be able to be identified by the system. A suggestion might be if the system notices that a person is frequently joining tournaments and then "sitting out" without playing that it can either boot the person after a certain amount of time or, prevent them from signing up for the tournaments.

Does anyone else who is frustrated with this behaviour have any thoughts or ideas on how this could be handled?

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 01:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2012
BronzeStar
It doesnt matter what other players do,concentrate on how your own play can benefit from the players sitting out and you will feel better about it.I personally cant stand the open league so I play in the premier league which is by far a better league and much better players.The problem in the open league is you can sit out and sometimes make itm and I think thats why players do it but hey how much fun is that lol I personally would much rather play.Anyway this is just my opinion and my point is that we cant change how others play the game but we can change how we feel about it,as we do have the power to change our thoughts.

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 03:35 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2013
It's maybe their own strategy to survive the open league rankings..

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 06:32 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2013
When you see these frequent sitters, look them up in the league rankings and compare them with your own.

If they are lower than you, then this is obviously not a problem.

If they are higher that you, then you need to examine your own play. Surely you should be able to beat a bunch of players sitting out?

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 06:44 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
***Moved to Skill League forum***

Hello auntyrae,

Thanks for your post. I'm not sure what can be done to prevent players sitting out but if you have any ideas it's always good to send them to ideas@mypokerschoolonline.com

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 08:17 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
I used to love it when I had sitters at my tables as it is free chips. My problem was when someone else at the table would be a Mr Greedy Guts and try to steal all the pots, then I would get frustrated and end up doing something dumb.

"A weak player may be a nit but a nit is not necessarily a weak player"

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 04:09 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2013
Free chips at the table.....whats the problem?

If, hypothetically, Pokerstars said at the start of a MTT...'we will give players 1500 chips at the start, and we will add 6,000 free chips for the first 10 levels at even intervals' on a 6 max you wouldn't be likely to say no would you?

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2013, 10:51 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
Sitters are not a problem in my opinion , they can be beat out by even the play and fold players who at least are there to play a hand when it presents itself . The problems are the Bingo players all in pre flop with cards like 10/4o .They are a problem because it is argued that poker is a sport and not gambling . If the powers that be see all these bingo players we have in the PSO and at micro tables the chances of poker online in the US will be very if'y indeed . It is hard enough as a beginner to follow the path recommended to them to make it to the positive side of the points let alone keep gaining points . firstly If your as unlucky as I am you do not get very many strong hands , never mind very strong hands , and when you do get a playable hand you find yourself out of position . You can play your hands right and still somehow even your made hands get creamed by the river to players who should have folded to your bet on the flop , if not pre flop .How can we say poker is not gambling when we see this type of thing as the norm ... all in Bingo anyone ?

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2013, 02:25 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
Simple,look at the long term,big sample results of bingo players vs. competent players.

ANYTHING can and will happen in the vacuum of small sample sizes. A very good,pennant contending baseball team will typically win around 95ish games out of 162 in a season. Whereas a basement dwelling last place team will typically win around 65ish games. A 30 game difference,over 26 weeks,is 1 game a week essentially.

If you think the small sample size matters feel free to bet some team like the Astros,or Twins,or Marlins that are headed for a train wreck of a season when they go 5-2 the first week (which one of them,or some other likewise inept team,will...).

And that's a 162 game sample. Compared to poker that's nothing,Hell less than nothing.

As to the US government they didn't go after the sites for gambling,they went after them for money-laundering. The AG who originally filed the charges even put put a statement roughly 1 year after the case was opened stipulating that poker IS a game of skill with an element of chance (luck/randomness...whatever you wish to call it) mixed in.

Skill or gambling isn't the main problem I believe,the main problem is a Congress that couldn't decide which exit to use were the Capitol on fire,not if their sorry lives depended on it. These nimrods couldn't even pass a Farm Bill this year for crying out loud.

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2013, 10:38 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2010
put that way makes perfect sense to me

Old
Lightbulb
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 03:23 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi auntyrae

EXPLANATION

Sitters really aren't a problem unless ur trying for a Top Spot in the League using the
STRATEGY

For more on that topic U can see
SITTERS

sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntyrae View Post
I am sure I'm not the only one who is fed up with the people who sign up for the Poker School Skill games and proceed to sit out and not play a single hand during the tournament.

There must be something that can be done about these frequent "sitting out" players. I have noticed quite a few of the same names sitting out in various tournaments that I have taken part in.

Its particularly frustrating when they sit out the skill games with the player limit on the tourneys, they are taking up seats that other players who are going to actually play the game could be using.

There must be something that can be done, the software is trackable, so those frequent sitters must be able to be identified by the system. A suggestion might be if the system notices that a person is frequently joining tournaments and then "sitting out" without playing that it can either boot the person after a certain amount of time or, prevent them from signing up for the tournaments.

Does anyone else who is frustrated with this behaviour have any thoughts or ideas on how this could be handled?

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 06:46 PM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyolman View Post
Hi auntyrae

EXPLANATION

Sitters really aren't a problem unless ur trying for a Top Spot in the League using the
STRATEGY

For more on that topic U can see
SITTERS

sleepy
Awesome link Sleepy, thank you

And thank you everyone else for your interesting input

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com