Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

What's He Shoving With?

View Poll Results: What would you do here?
I'm folding 3 21.43%
I'm calling 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old
What's He Shoving With? - Sun Nov 24, 2013, 01:50 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
No stats on the villian, only 5 hands played against him and a complete unknown.

I check-call both the flop and turn for the following reasons:

I'm out of position against an unknown player and don't want to scare him away so I reckon check-calling will extract more value from him.

There's a possible straight and flush draw out there that might beat me so I don't want to bloat the pot.

Trying to range him on a hand with his early position raise pre-flop he should have a strong holding, maybe pocket kings, Ace King through Ace Jack here maybe? Hard to know without stats or reads if he opens loosely or is a TAG player.

So what could he be shoving here with and what would you do in this position?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by royalraise85; Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 01:53 PM
(#2)
(Community Coordinator)
Replayer doesn't seems right so here's the text:

PokerStars Zoom Hand #107518534324: Hold'em No Limit ($0.10/$0.25) - 2013/11/24 12:37:25 ET
Table 'Hydra' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: bjessica ($34.98 in chips)
Seat 2: royalraise85 ($67.44 in chips)
Seat 3: VikkeZer ($69.78 in chips)
Seat 4: Da_Joker1988 ($25.43 in chips)
Seat 5: Sunnyfreak96 ($69.13 in chips)
Seat 6: Nitruz999 ($27 in chips)
royalraise85: posts small blind $0.10
VikkeZer: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to royalraise85 [Qh Qd]
Da_Joker1988: raises $0.50 to $0.75
Sunnyfreak96: folds
Nitruz999: folds
bjessica: folds
royalraise85: calls $0.65
VikkeZer: folds
*** FLOP *** [Js Qs Ah]
royalraise85: checks
Da_Joker1988 is connected
Da_Joker1988: bets $1
royalraise85: calls $1
*** TURN *** [Js Qs Ah] [3d]
royalraise85: checks
Da_Joker1988: bets $2.75
royalraise85: calls $2.75
*** RIVER *** [Js Qs Ah 3d] [9c]
royalraise85: bets $4.75
Da_Joker1988: raises $16.18 to $20.93 and is all-in

What would you do?

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 02:02 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
I think you butchered the hand RR - 3 bet pre, 3 bet flop and 3 bet turn.

I'm never folding.

If I think I'm ahead on flop then the turn and river change nothing. I'm calling here 100% of the time but my decision is made on the flop.

I think you played this very poorly.

If he's a made straight or AAA then tough luck but better to get it in when our odds are greater to win.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Ovalman; Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Villain's range smashes this flop, but you smash it harder. I'm check-raising the flop for value and stacking off. If he has AA or KT, it's a cooler.
As played, I snap call the river. You've under-repped your hand, so he'll think AQ, AJ, A9, JJ, 99 are ahead.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 08:38 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Paul,

I think your whole line is way too passive here. Firstly I would 3-bet for value preflop if I were readless. Calling pre isn't terrible, it will serve to keep his range as wide as possible, but we are going to be out of position and inviting the BB to overcall, so on balance I prefer to 3B here.

Once we've flatted, I like check/raising the flop. Give him a chance to c-bet, then drop the boom. We may get stack action right now from AK, AQ, AJ, JJ, QJ, so there's plenty of worse hands in his range we're crushing and only 2 ahead of us, AA and KT. And we have equity against KT since we can still fill up, so AA is the only true disaster.

As played, I would call the shove. Like Arty said, we have under repped our hand so completely that he could shove any 2 pair+ for value thinking it's good, and if he thinks our river bet is full of baloney (which he might), he could bluff shove weaker hands thinking we are bluffing or block betting some marginal made hand.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 05:35 AM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Hey guys,

Thanks to all for your responses.

I agree with all of you that I made a complete mess of this hand and made life difficult for myself. I'm going to watch out for spots like this going forward as it could be a big leak in my game.

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com