Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

how should i play this hand?

Old
how should i play this hand? - Sun Nov 24, 2013, 01:51 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 02:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
Short stack limps I have a little over 13bbs, unless i have specific reads for me this is an easy preflop shove.

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 03:04 PM
(#3)
I see nothing drastically wrong with your play. I'd raise to 2100 with a limper pre-flop, but that changes nothing.

On the flop, a 1/2 pot bet is about 1/3rd your stack and you are calling a BB shove so shoving is fine. If BB calls they're committed and why give them a free card if they have an overcard or two or a draw.

No bad decisions here. Next hand please!

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 04:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2013
All you can do is get your opponents chips in the middle when you feel you are crushing.

You achieved this.....so not really sure if this is anything other than a bad beat post?

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 04:57 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmotiveKiwi View Post
Short stack limps I have a little over 13bbs, unless i have specific reads for me this is an easy preflop shove.
Same here. I'm jamming a few worse hands too, particularly if they don't flop so well. I'm quite happy to pick up the dead money without a fight, or be flipping vs 2 overs if villain limped something like AJ/KQ.
As played, you're destined to go broke when villain sucks out. He's not folding TPTK however much you bet on the flop, so you just got unlucky.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 06:37 PM
(#6)
The big stacks are out of the picture. No mention of this being a turbo and the players seem passive. We only pick up about 3BB if they fold.

I'm not sure shoving pre is optimal, but it isn't wrong. If the opener can't find a fold pre-flop after getting into the pot, an iso-shove makes sense.

Without knowing more (buy-in, tables dynamics, OP's relative skill, etc) it almost impossible to say one reasonable alternative is better than another.

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 07:05 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2013
This is easy shove pre. 0-20bb just play shove or fold

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 08:42 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi blender803!

With TT on the button, I get an opp that limps in front of me. With 15BB, I'm just going to shove here. If I make a standard raise to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, I'd raise to 2100... but I really don't want to have to fold off almost 1/4 of my stack if I get a bad flop.. so the best decision that I can make is to shove preflop.
I don't want to raise to less than 2100, as this can give the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me... something that I want to avoid doing whenever possible. If I give them a +EV play and they win, it's my own fault that I lose the hand.

If I see three undercards on the flop (my chips would already be in the middle), a standard bet sizing in a HU pot is 1/2 pot and since this bet definitely pot-commits me, I'm shoving.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com