Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL1/2c, zoom, AKo, was I right to go all-in preflop?

Old
NL1/2c, zoom, AKo, was I right to go all-in preflop? - Sun Nov 24, 2013, 03:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013

No read on villains, no HUD.

A pretty classic hand: raises, re-raises and re-reraises preflop. Is it OK to go all-in preflop with AKo?

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 03:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
Being zoom and 2nl when villain smooth calls the open then 4-bets your massive 3-bet he has AA or KK more often than not. I think shoving his 4-bet is a mistake and I am more inclined to fold to his 4-bet.

Interested to see other opinions i'm usually extremely cautious of 2nl zoom 4-bets and perhaps too nitty but I have no problems folding AK to this action.

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi tanguy88

As EmotiveKiwi mentioned, your 3-bet was a bit heavy. Typically we should go about 3x the raise plus 1x for each caller. So 24c here rather than 30c. This becomes important here because the ensuing 4b would have been considerably smaller had you bet less.

As played, you are facing a 4bet. There is already 143 in the pot and V6 only has 1.20 behind, so he doesn't intend on folding. Also, with V5 yet to act, calling is not great here. Your best options are to fold or to move all in.

Agruments for folding may be that you have a deep stack that you want to protect. V6s line does look quite strong. I would not say it is always AA or KK, especially when you are holding two of those cards, but he will have it often. No read on the villain. There are plenty of good, clear spots at 2NL.

Agruments for jamming. You will have some fold equity, but proably not much more than 10%. There is 1.43 dead money in the pot. The only hand you are really not wanting to see is AA. You are going to have at least 30% equity against his range. I think this may have been avoided with a smaller 3b, but as is, I think moving all in is your best choice.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Thanks! - Mon Nov 25, 2013, 10:23 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2013
Many thanks for your answers, very interesting!

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 12:36 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
Don't fold once you have that much money invested at 2nl w/ AK

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 02:56 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2011
Hi Birdayy, interesting comment are you able to explain abit more?

Is the money invested relative to the other stacks or to our hero's stack? 0.30c doesn't seem like an investment that would have me committed to every pot

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 08:11 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
Villain has taken a strange line here, smooth calling the initial raise then min-4betting over your large 3bet.

Strange lines like this at microstakes especially 2NL normally mean AA.

I'd just fold here and wait for the many better spot that will come your way.

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2013, 03:46 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2012
There's a fair bit of money already in the pot ~$0.70 so calling off with AK is never bad.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com