Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Sunday storm

Old
Sunday storm - Sun Nov 24, 2013, 03:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Hi all, some queastions about my hand at the sunday storm.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...508_3E4174E9D5

What was my misstakes?

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 07:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Seems well played, dont know whos the opponents but if their kinda bad players who likes to play many hands you could shove it preflop, if you think they would call you off with AJ or something like that . Postflop was nice, he would get it in there with hes flushdraws as well so its fine

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 07:46 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Thnak you, i just wondered if i made good moves or not, yes i could agrry with you that i could shove preflop, but i think i would call insstantly.

Old
Sun Nov 24, 2013, 10:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
The way it played out, I think it's actually a tricky spot. A-Q is a tricky hand to play (up there with pocket Jacks), and can be difficult at times.

Here, we have an utg raise and a caller. With the size your stack is (about 14bb, I think?), this is the perfect opportunity for a squeeze shove. The way you played wasn't terrible, and the result probably would have been the same either way, but I think that squeezing at least folds out a couple of hands, improving your chances of winning.

EDIT: I just checked - you were actually over 26bb deep. So the way you played it was better - your stack's a bit big for a squeeze shove here.

Last edited by Christxof; Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM..

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 01:46 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Tommy nolimt!

With AQs from the button, I get a min-raise and a call in front of me. While I could call here (if I had a read on the opps and knew that I could outplay them postflop), I'm going to raise the majority of the time here. A standard 3-bet sizing is to between 3X the previous bet (900) and a pot-sized raise (1125).

With multiple players already in the pot, I tend to go toward the top end of this range, so I'd bet 1125.... BUT... this is very close to making me pot-committed. It's not quite 1/3 of my stack, but it is close.

Especially if I think that the opps could call light (no reads were provided) or could fold (where I would gain over 20% to my stack without a fight) then IMO, the best decision that I can make is to just go ahead and shove preflop.

Another reason to shove preflop is that if I call and either of the blinds comes along, any standard bet on the flop will pot-commit me, so I'd have to shove anyway. Instead of letting the opp possibly see a card that can beat me, I want to make them commit their chips before they see it and also, by shoving preflop, I'll be maximizing my fold equity.

Due to these reasons, I'm going to shove preflop with AQs from the button here.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com