Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Advancing in Cash games-Please Advise.

Old
Advancing in Cash games-Please Advise. - Sun Nov 24, 2013, 03:16 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
I want to start by thanking all the people who helped me see the road towards moving on in 2NL in my previous post(http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...I-missing-here) especially ArtySmokesPS blog and Braveslice.
Thanks to everyone I went from 3,6 to 10 USD.
I have peaked around 11,x playing Cash 2NL FR games, but I am unable to grow above this level.
So about this, if you want to increase your bankroll in 2BL or general in poker at a starting level, what are some of the objectives to have in mind?
I have two at the moment:

1) Stop Loss 1-1,5 USD with a Take Profit 2,5-3USD( I know normally profit taking should be more but I find that hit and run is my main advantage atm and 2,5 happens more frequent than 1,5);
2) After hitting the Stop Loss I mandatory take a 10-15mins break and read some material(Arty blog or Crushing the microstakes) to cool off.
Still the losses happen kind of frequent even with me playing very tight( I follow Arty's charts on raises from EP, MP and LP).
So to be direct, does anyone have better objectives or customs that might help? I try not to play to much or obssess to much about it, but I feel I should be doing something more specific.
Thank you very much.
Bluenavy811h.

Last edited by BlueNavy811h; Sun Nov 24, 2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 05:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hey there,

Normally there's two main things that I consider before deciding to move up a level in cash games.

Am I beating the level I'm currently playing?
Am I using solid Bankroll Management principles?

Ask your self the two questions above, if you want answer them here, but if you don't that's ok too.

Personally I start each month at the cash game tables with a clear objective:

I will play 'xxx' amount of hands this month.
I will target 'xxx' status.
I will spend 'x' amount of hours reviewing hands, attending live trainings etc.
This month (or week) I will study and work on defending my blinds better for example.

As each week/month goes by and you are learning a little extra and ticking the boxes on what you want to achieve you'll being to see a lot of progress.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 01, 2013, 07:06 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post

This month (or week) I will study and work on defending my blinds better for example.

Raiser
I've been playing for 2 years now and still can't fix this. Losing money in the blinds. It's just wipes out all the good work/profit we make in other positions.

If this is a problem at 2NL it will get harder as you move up stakes. Or back down as has happened to me.

Old
Sun Dec 01, 2013, 07:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestFive View Post
I've been playing for 2 years now and still can't fix this. Losing money in the blinds. It's just wipes out all the good work/profit we make in other positions.

If this is a problem at 2NL it will get harder as you move up stakes. Or back down as has happened to me.
Everybody loses lots of money in the blinds. You have to just make sure you're not losing more than you have to by calling fewer raises out of position, squeezing and restealing wider etc.

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNavy811h View Post
I want to start by thanking all the people who helped me see the road towards moving on in 2NL in my previous post(http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...I-missing-here) especially ArtySmokesPS blog and Braveslice.
Thanks to everyone I went from 3,6 to 10 USD.
I have peaked around 11,x playing Cash 2NL FR games, but I am unable to grow above this level.
So about this, if you want to increase your bankroll in 2BL or general in poker at a starting level, what are some of the objectives to have in mind?
I have two at the moment:

1) Stop Loss 1-1,5 USD with a Take Profit 2,5-3USD( I know normally profit taking should be more but I find that hit and run is my main advantage atm and 2,5 happens more frequent than 1,5);
2) After hitting the Stop Loss I mandatory take a 10-15mins break and read some material(Arty blog or Crushing the microstakes) to cool off.
Still the losses happen kind of frequent even with me playing very tight( I follow Arty's charts on raises from EP, MP and LP).
So to be direct, does anyone have better objectives or customs that might help? I try not to play to much or obssess to much about it, but I feel I should be doing something more specific.
Thank you very much.
Bluenavy811h.
Hi Bluenavy, I am not really an expert in giving advice in this area, but with some of my wayward thinking I will try.

Stop loss, I am not even sure what that means, I presume it means stopping on any individual day if you lose X amount of money?

My strategy would be to just set a daily amount, weekly amount, I am willing to lose and can afford to lose.

When in profit for a day, if i still felt like playing, I would then play with only the profit.

So worse case senario, I break even for the day. Variance does not like greed, take note.

As for the second part, I believe you are asking about strategies?

I find the best way is to have no strategy, play tight, play looose, mix it up , fancy a hand play it, if it looks iffy or open raisers before my turn to act, back off.
But mainly 90% based on the Tag strategy and the 10% percent based on positional awareness.

And having a break inbetween games is a must part of any strategy.

Hope my ramblings help GL

Last edited by holdemace486; Mon Dec 02, 2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 07:33 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestFive View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
Everybody loses lots of money in the blinds. You have to just make sure you're not losing more than you have to by calling fewer raises out of position, squeezing and restealing wider etc.
The blinds will always be the worst performing position. As TheLangolier says "In the blinds you pay a premium for the privilege to play a usually weak hand out of position."

Keep that in mind when in the blinds.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com