Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

.50cent 90man and 45man itm%

Old
.50cent 90man and 45man itm% - Mon Nov 25, 2013, 04:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
Hi I normally play MTT with large entry numbers and occaitionaly the $1.00 hypers for fun if im short on time.

but now i have set myself a challenge of playing the smaller mtt to build a roll and progress up the stake levels.

what i would be interested to know is what others would consider a good itm% and a good ROI% for the 90 and 45man sng's

thanks in advance for your comments

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 04:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Any +ROI is a good thing. I'd focus on ROI rather than ITM number.. because that will tell you if you're a winning player or not. Before moving up in levels, make sure that you validate that you're a winner at the lower levels in thousands of games (how many it will take).

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 05:00 PM
(#3)
Hi John thanks for your thoughts on this.

im currently keeping stats on each of the 45 and 90's to see if i'm better suited to one over the other and plan on doing a sample of around 500 of each before making a final descion so far its going well but on a small sample of less than 30 and im in front by around 30 buyins

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 05:17 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
smaller samples really won't mean much. I play them by the hundreds and even 100 is too small. I've had a number of 25-35 tourney streaks where I didn't cash in a single one... but still have a +ROI in them longterm.. which is the key.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Nov 25, 2013, 06:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahboiiiii View Post
Hi John thanks for your thoughts on this.

im currently keeping stats on each of the 45 and 90's to see if i'm better suited to one over the other and plan on doing a sample of around 500 of each before making a final descion so far its going well but on a small sample of less than 30 and im in front by around 30 buyins

There really isn't as big a difference between 45 and 90 man's of the same structure (Turbo/standard blinds) as there is between standard blind and Turbo blind structures. For example a standard 45-man vs. a Turbo 45-man plays much differently. Turbos in these size SNG's are much more about pre-flop play,you're not going to really ever see table dynamics where there's room for much post flop play because there's pretty much always going to be shove/fold stacks in the equation,be it YOUR stack or the stacks of the players you're targeting.

If I can make a suggestion you may want to try a session at the .25 level games,which are standard blinds and see if that's more to your liking. It may not be,some prefer Turbos and that's fine. But,and you need to be brutally honest in your self assessment here,IF you can honestly say when appraising your game that you make more good decisions and less mistakes than your opponents then this will only be amplified in a standard blind structure vs Turbo's as there will be more decisions to be made. If you have an edge then you want more play in hands not less.

As to the ITM and ROI...John's right,ROI counts for so much more,BUT they are connected on some level,how connected can fluctuate depending on the game type (ITM% counts more in STT's than 45 mans,more in 45 mans than standard freeze out MTTs...you get the idea).

I would say that to maximize your ROI potential,as a general rule of thumb,you don't want to fall much below a 20% ITM number in 45's and around 17-18% in 90's. Conversely you don't want to climb much over 30% ITM in either as an ITM% that high means you're most likely settling for too many min-cash level finishes,instead of taking on more risk at the bubble so as to stack up and run for the top 3.

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 06:25 PM
(#6)
figured it was time I updated the stats a little

my sample size is still very small I have decided I'm looking to go to around 1k games before moving up stakes to get a true picture but so far here am my stats playing around 50 games a day as they last a while so are hard to rack up very large numbers while 7 tabling.

90man 53 games 20.7 itm% 89.7 ROI% 23.79 profit
45man 148games 23.6 itm% 50.7 ROI% 37.52 profit

these are pretty incredible stats that I know wont hold up in the long run but the games are very easy at this level and I think 30+ ROI% is very achievable if played correctly.

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 06:41 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Yeahboiiiii!

Take these numbers with a grain of salt because they are only from a small quantity of games, but here were my numbers before black Friday (hopefully someday we'll be able to play again so I can get a large quantity of games in).

45 man 50% ITM 171% ROI
90 man 38.5% ITM 144% ROI

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com