Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

QQ on bubble

Old
QQ on bubble - Tue Nov 26, 2013, 07:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
This hand comes from a $2.50 180 man turbo. We are hand for hand on the bubble and Im short with 10bbs.

Do you think it is best to shove all in, or is QQ strong enough to min-raise and try to entice some action?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...816_608696E48B

Thanks!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2013, 07:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2010
I haven't played MTTs that much and it has been a while since I've played SNG's but I did focused on SNGs in the past. I think you should shove here definitely since you have <10bb. You're sitting UTG, so if you don't shove your stack will be crippled the next two hands since you're going to pay the blinds. So I think people will call lighter as they will notice this. Also if you just min-raise people can see this as strength as it looks like you want people to get in the pot. And what if your min-raise gets called and a K or A hits the flop? It will be hard to get money in on the flop from worse hands in that case as they will be scared for these overcards. Just push and hope you get called by worse or just pick up the blinds (which is a 22% increase of your stack) and live another round Just my 2 cts.

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2013, 09:03 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
You did the right thing in shipping it.

Picture the scenario:

You min raise, Villain 6 calls and Villain 3 completes from the Big Blind. Flop comes A74 with two clubs. Now you think "Why the @*?% didn't I just shove it Preflop?!"

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2013, 12:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
Shoving is good. 180s payout structure is so top heavy anyways so this bubble dosent matter so much, still going to shove nash in these spots. If youre thinking of minraising in this spot then what are you trying to accomplish with your minraise? If youre always shoving your bottom nash ranges you should be shoving also your top ranges. If you think your minraise would look weak and these guys could stack off wider, then you want to minraise/call in this spot, if youre minraise looks like only top ranges and you are doing it with only your top ranges then its looking stronger and you will get more fold equity and with QQ in this spot you dont want any fold equity, so shoving is good . Also its always good to shove less then 12bb stack.

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2013, 02:00 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2013
Shove or fold here for me.

It is not the case whether QQ is strong enough to make a cute raise with, but are you deep enough to do so? FOr me you are not.

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2013, 10:27 AM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Greg

I think you made the correct decision. I believe that shoving all in will make us more money in this spot. Maybe if you were in later position at the table then we could attempt the old min raise to induce a shove but as we are UTG our raise will look suuuuuper strong to anybody that isn't a weak player.

If I was at your table and I spotted you doing this I would be able to fold hands like A10/AJ/ 88+ where as if you just shipped it I would be snap calling.

In this spot I think you'll be called lighter when you shove rather then when you raise. Even if I was a table full of craaaazy fishies I would still ship it.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 08:08 AM
(#7)
Since: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewMe1 View Post
If I was at your table and I spotted you doing this I would be able to fold hands like A10/AJ/ 88+ where as if you just shipped it I would be snap calling.

In this spot I think you'll be called lighter when you shove rather then when you raise. Even if I was a table full of craaaazy fishies I would still ship it.
Same with AA?

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:15 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd make the same play with basically every single hand that I'm going to play here.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:22 AM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Hi Greg

I think you made the correct decision. I believe that shoving all in will make us more money in this spot. Maybe if you were in later position at the table then we could attempt the old min raise to induce a shove but as we are UTG our raise will look suuuuuper strong to anybody that isn't a weak player.

Cheers, Chris.
Agreed!

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 12:35 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Hi Greg

Besides agreeing with that, I would like to add that keep yourself to basics here. With that stack and that stage of the tourney, all your plays should weight heavily on PREFLOP plays. You'll face less variance and avoid difficult decision making.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com