Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

New guy looking for a hand (or many) - Bankroll Builder

Old
New guy looking for a hand (or many) - Bankroll Builder - Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2013
Hello PSO staff. I'd like to participate in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Thanks a lot.

Max_Kane

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Nov 26, 2013, 09:03 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tasks Completed - Wed Nov 27, 2013, 09:12 AM
(#4)
Hello, PSO staff!

I'm pleased to say that I have completed the tasks that were requested of me.

Here's the Hand History I'd like to ask about:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=8F550DFE4B

I played this hand pretty aggressively, and I was wondering if I played it correctly even though I won. Everyone there seemed to be playing maniac-poker, so I though I was ahead pre-flop, which is why I 3-bet light on the raiser, even though I was out of position.

I have a couple of questions:

1- Was my 3-bet pre-flop correct under those circumstances?
2- Was I supposed to control the pot size even though the flop was pretty dry and I had top pair?
3- How do you go about putting people on a hand when they play so recklessly? In these situations, do you play just your own hand or do you still try to figure out what your opponent has?

P.S.: The Turn bet was a misclick on my part, I was gonna go all in, but I clicked Max and it for some reason didn't register.

Thanks!

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 06:57 AM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello Max_Kane,

Can you please post the hand replayer IN THE THREAD (don't link to it)

Instructions are in the video above. This is an important step.

Once you post the hand we can continue on from there.

Cheers,
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll Builder - Hand Feedback (playing top pair) - Thu Nov 28, 2013, 10:10 AM
(#6)

I played this hand pretty aggressively, and I was wondering if I played it correctly even though I won. Everyone there seemed to be playing maniac-poker, so I though I was ahead pre-flop, which is why I 3-bet light on the raiser, even though I was out of position.

I have a couple of questions:

1- Was my 3-bet pre-flop correct under those circumstances?
2- Was I supposed to control the pot size even though the flop was pretty dry and I had top pair?
3- How do you go about putting people on a hand when they play so recklessly? In these situations, do you play just your own hand or do you still try to figure out what your opponent has?

P.S.: The Turn bet was a misclick on my part, I was gonna go all in, but I clicked Max and it for some reason didn't register.

P.P.S.: I just repeated the last post with the hand instead of link.

Thanks!

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 06:50 AM
(#7)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 03:49 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Max_Kane,

I will be your Hand Analyzer for this post

I like it Preflop raise is good especially with the min raise from villain. We are stacking of the rest after we raise big OTF. I think we don't have to make it so big though we could go for 1/2 pot.

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 06:37 PM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Answer to the question - Fri Nov 29, 2013, 06:59 PM
(#10)
OK, I understand how I misplayed the hand I posted here and this has been very helpful in making me more aware of what I'm instinctively doing on the tables.

Players should bet big to:

1- Bluff opponents off of decent hands (would you mind giving me an example of a "foldable" hand? in this scenario I'm having trouble picturing hands that would fold to a big bet. I'm thinking middle pair or a pocket pair lower than the board, are these the ones you're talking about?)
2- To protect a made (but not so strong) hand such as top pair top kicker against draws, making it unprofitable for them to call.
3- To get value on very strong hands (sets or above)
4- To put pressure on opponents (and force them to make a mistake? what would you accomplish in this case, or is it more of a side-reason to bet big when you are in one of the above situations?)

I do understand, and I am EXTREMELY WILLING to learn, but it all seems just a tad vague to me at the moment due probably to the lack of knowledge of the game I seem to suffer from.

Also, I'd like to mention that you didn't really address my questions there, hand analyst. Especially the last one of my questions, to which I have problems finding an answer. How do you put people who call you with 70% of the hands on a "range" if their range is as close to any 2 cards. One of the villains 3-bet all in with middle pair on the hand I posted being that there had been a raise and a reraise!

Please, if you have the time, I'll really appreciate it if you can answer my questions. I really want to play poker more seriously and be good at it.

Thanks a lot!

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 08:38 AM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Kane View Post
Also, I'd like to mention that you didn't really address my questions there, hand analyst. Especially the last one of my questions, to which I have problems finding an answer. How do you put people who call you with 70% of the hands on a "range" if their range is as close to any 2 cards. One of the villains 3-bet all in with middle pair on the hand I posted being that there had been a raise and a reraise!
Hey Max_Kane, sorry I missed out on your question.
Play Money is a bit crazy I'm sure People just don't have anything invested and they are just clicking buttons for fun. At Play Money tables I think the best approach would be to make strong hands and call off with top pair strong kicker type of hands. When someone who calls with 70% of their hand they are going to bleed money because they will miss so many flops. Your edge would be to cbet alot of flops and take it down when they miss. When you get called, its best to shutdown when you don't have a hand. In real money games, you will see that people will play much tighter than play money. I hope this answers your question.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 08:57 AM
(#12)
It doesn't exactly answer my question, but I guess what you just told me is the closest one can get to an answer. Basically, what you're telling me is that there is no way to put these people on a hand because their decisions make no sense, right? I'll start grinding the cash games soon with the first $2 and I'll let you know my impressions.

Thanks for your prompt response, have a good one!

Old
A9s PFR raise - Sat Nov 30, 2013, 09:40 AM
(#13)

So, here's a hand I have a question about.

I had a huge stack limp from MP and a button limper (who had beaten me the hand before and shown to be quite passive).

I had A9s in the small blind. I raised the pot to 5 BB (3 +1 for each limper). Everyone folded. What I want to ask about is whether my thought process was correct here.

I thought that the limper would fold, and the big stack might call pretty loosely and I'd be ahead of him, with the potential to double up if I hit a flush. However, I was OOP, which would make c-betting the flop very hard.

How would you have played this hand?

Thanks!

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 09:43 AM
(#14)
Hey George!

Thanks for the lesson on bet sizing!!!!!!

Here's a hand where I applied that concept perfectly!

I truly thank you for helping me improve my game.

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 09:57 AM
(#15)
Here's another example:

I called on the SB with QTo and flopped an open-ended draw, so I donkbet the pot as a semi-bluff, then the turn gave me a straight and I increased the pressure, effectively putting my opponent all in on the river.

My question here is about the first call. I only looked at my opponent's stack after I made the call (I thought his range raising from the button was pretty wide, but I was wondering if the implied odds of hitting a monster justified my call.

Thanks!

Old
Sat Nov 30, 2013, 01:37 PM
(#16)
Hey.

I'd like to inform you that I have passed the test. Is there a way to get the answer keys for it? I only got 78% and I want to know where I made a mistake.

Thanks!

Old
Sun Dec 01, 2013, 06:11 AM
(#17)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 03:43 AM
(#18)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi,

Hand Analysis

Everything was played fine pre-flop, we have a deep stack depth of just over 100bb, the overall playabilty of our hand is going to be much better than a loose late position opening range. We can't really 3bet bet this hand for value from the small blind, especially without reads. This flop texture can plausibely hit most of your small blind flatting range, we can credibly represent AJ KJ QJ (16 combos of each of these hands) and 99. Taking the lead in the pot is fine, but bear in mind we need to discount all of our outs that are of the heart suit as it may give the opponent a flush. The key to effectively getting your opponents entire stack, is to make bet sizing of 2/3 to 3/4 pot size to build the stack to pot ratio...you did a good job on that. Nice hand and nice pot!

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 02, 2013, 04:07 PM
(#19)
Thanks a lot. So, what's next for me to receive the next increment of $2.00? I had a GREAT run on Saturday, but on Sunday I tilted, made some really bad decisions and I lost everything except $0.77, which isn't enough to continue playing. I will re-study everything I have learned so far before I resume playing, but I sure would like to know that once I'm done I will be able to get back on the tables.

Thanks for all the help and hints.

Take it EZ!

Old
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 04:14 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Kane View Post
Hey.

I'd like to inform you that I have passed the test.

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com