Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

2014 goal progress for Grade b

Old
2014 goal progress for Grade b - Wed Nov 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Plan to make a start in December (ok so I've already started)

Decembers topic of study will be Basic starting hand theory.

Yearly Goal

1.By the end of 2014 I would like to be showing a reasonable ITM % and a positive ROI in MTTs and large field SnG’s (180 man +) I will be using 100 Buy in rule for the start of the year however one of my caveats will be setting money aside to play some micro millions games plus I will play whatever PSO main events that my schedule will allow.

My goal for Tournament play is to have an ROI of +5% at the end of the year

I will also be trying to satellite in to bigger games than my bank roll will allow.I will try to satellite into games if the satellites games are within my bank roll and games That I am confident in. An example is the $1.25 Turbo stt's for the big $4.40

Monthly goals

• Each month I would like to play 20 MTT’s
• Each month I would like to work on a different Area of the MTT games see list which I will be adding to.

o Starting hand selection
o C-betting
o Stack to pot ratio
o Blind play
o Using a HUD
o steals
o Medium stack play
o Short stack play
o Hand reading
o Big stake play
o Pot odds

I will Breakdown 1 of them a blog it picking out key hands which highlight the specific area I am working on that month

Weekly goals

• Play in sessions that do not last beyond an hour without a break (ring games)
• Review tough spots and post for comments
• Play SnG / MTTs within my budget

• spend 4 hours studing (not just cruising forums)

January Goals (including last few days of December)

Play the 27 man 1.50's and increase my bankroll to $175 so I can play the $3.50 games
Play 20 mtt's $1.10 level
Reveiw 8 videos on MTT play.
Review Pot odds and the idea of a re-steal stack on line and rewatch PSO training on same.

Bank Roll Management

STT
30 buy-ins
SnG 18 man and 27 man - 50 Buy ins
SnG Multi table (45 man - 360 man) & MTT's** 100 buy-ins

Good luck to everyone in 2014 may all your decisions be the right ones.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Sat Jan 04, 2014 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: added stuff (in Red) and added again december 2 (green) December 4 took out mention of cash games

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2013, 11:39 AM
(#2)
Good Luck Grade

Just a suggestion, You need to go into more details for it to succeed. For example: What is a reasonable ITM for you? same for ROI. How many hands of ring games will you play per month, week? Basically, how will you achieve all those goals? What will you do daily or weekly, monthly to achieve them? When will you study and how much time?

By having very definitive plan of action, you know exactly what to do every time you play poker, when studying or when reviewing.

Again, good luck in 2014

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2013, 12:07 PM
(#3)
Hi Sandtrap

I agree that more detail is needed and hope during get December to see what kind of time I will have for each type.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Nov 27, 2013, 05:01 PM
(#4)
so looked into my 2013 tournament results.

overall
played 1263 games

ITM of 18.45%
ROI of -7.79%

within that games marked as SnG

ITM 28.97
ROI -2.86

funnily enough games marked Deep Note the Micro- millions games where marked Deep.

ITM 46.15%
ROI 221.17%

hmmm so not so good, I intend to track Mtt's 180 mans 360 mans satties PSO games and events separately
but as a general feeling I'm not going to worry too hard about my ITM% as a target but will set a target for my ROI.

I want to get my ROI above 0 and will set my target to start with at 5%

I will be throwing edits into the OP as i think of them Hope it doesn't get too messy.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Wed Nov 27, 2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old
Starting hand selection - Wed Dec 04, 2013, 12:29 PM
(#5)
SO i have been reading about startinghand selection and as expected the large majority of advice for the low level buy-ins is

Tight is Right

and for Stt's

Tighter is Righter

I did find an online article however that did not say tight is right but rather offered pros and cons of playing tight.

cons

You miss out on some of the early fishy chips the implided odds are big enough to ustify playing specalitive hands

You often fail to build a big stack for the important middle part of the tournament

If playing a style opposite to the rest of the table is the the "correct" way to play and teh tale is following the whole "Tight is Right" rule then playing loose would be correct.

I do like Number 3 there and tend to (while stacks are big compaired to blinds (35+ bb's)) sit for an orbit or two and asess how poeple are playing and then decide what cards I can play.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
2014 starts today. - Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#6)
So yes it is still 2013,

But also my first day of the Christmas break so for me 2014 the Tournament year starts today.

online BR $147.02 and 162 FPP's
So will be playing the PSO games and in next few weeks would like to play 100 "360 man games" starting at the 50 cent level.

Should be starting later today. Will be looking at starting hand selection v's villain type.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Dec 20, 2013, 12:47 PM
(#7)
Game # Buy in finish +/- running total. Notes
1. $0.50168-$0.50 Right read of Ax or Flush draw but wrong result.
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...621_29E80D5306

Player about 5 of these with not scoring currently playing smaller fields which take less time.

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Sun Dec 29, 2013 at 05:32 PM..

Old
Fri Dec 20, 2013, 01:28 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Will be looking at starting hand selection v's villain type.

Grade b
Don't go overboard with that
Starting hand selection is very player, table dynamics, stack size, bankroll dependent. You can open with 45s if you have enough info on all those subject.
BUT, starting hand selection is a good start, then you need to adapt
Good Luck

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 05:30 PM
(#9)
ty Sandtrap,

just finished reading Royal raisers thread. I don't want to add to that mess in there as Royal asked for ideas not a discussion but please note that I value your advice and agree that most of us do not set / (or in my case follow through) with smart goals (in our poker playing).

I hope to do better this year although I have to say Dec did go well (phew!!)

looking at my goals again tonight and will make some more amendments hopefully to the better. edited post 1 used sea green today dec 29th, hopefully for the better.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Sun Dec 29, 2013 at 05:57 PM..

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 06:51 PM
(#10)
Quote:
ty Sandtrap,
.............and agree that most of us do not set / (or in my case follow through) with smart goals (in our poker playing).

Grade b
Your welcome,
But again, it has nothing to do with being smart, it's a terminology used in setting goals
S.M.A.R.T. Goals
look it up on the net

I'll be following from a distance....lol
Good Luck

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 07:32 PM
(#11)
I'm Awaire its s.m.a.r.t. not smart just a lazy typer.
s. well a 5% ROI
playing 27 mans and the 1.10 buy ins for Jan

m. 5% ROi or 20% for 27 mans

a. well i think i can do it for sure

r. last years maybe not from where i was both in my game and learning habits this year much more realistic

t. 1 year with Jan's sub goal...

woohoo

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 09:37 AM
(#12)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
Best of luck with the new year Grade

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 09:38 AM
(#13)
After a terrible 3 days of some bad beats and some poor calls played a 250 cap game yesterday

PokerStars Tournament #840077860, No Limit Hold'em
Buy-In: $1.00/$0.10 USD
250 players
Total Prize Pool: $250.00 USD
Tournament started 2013/12/30 21:32:00 ET

Dear Grade b,

You finished the tournament in 2nd place. A USD 35.62 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

You earned 122.64 tournament leader points in this tournament. For information about our tournament leader board, see our web site at http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tour.../leader-board/

Congratulations!

Thank you for participating.

When I get back (if we don't get stuck in the snow) I will review some of the good and bad play.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 08:10 PM
(#14)
So December is at an end and drum roll please during the last 11 days MTTS and SnG's

played 120 Games
ITM 21%
ROI 31%
Profit $34.54

This may not seem a lot but represents the only winning period I can remember for this form of poker since recording goals. My best games where 27 man's and Horse games (which draw a small field.

for cash.....

2252 hands and 1 cent in profit ugg Hope that can improve in Jan

From this I converted $3.55 to Canadian dollars as my fun slush fund which I I plan on using for the Micro-millions and will not be counted as part of my bankroll. (currently I have $40 Canadian and plan on banking 10% of profit for each month)
good luck all.

A blog ( a long read sorry) of my recent 2nd in a 250 man cap game ($1.50 buy in) here. http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blo...n-a-1-cap-game
Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Fri Jan 03, 2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old
Good start to January. - Sat Jan 04, 2014, 02:22 PM
(#15)
Hi all with My $30 for timevault and a $40 score in the Big $4.40 (which I satellited in to via a $1.25 9 man STT) My bankroll stands at $200 (woohoo) I have made better progress in this years challenge than over the whole of last year.

I think I will drop the cash part of this years challenge (I will still play cash games but I want to concentrate on the games I prefer, Which is STT's and MTT's.

Grade b

***Moved Per Member Request***

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by royalraise85; Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 07:03 AM..

Old
Math question - Tue Jan 07, 2014, 10:48 AM
(#16)
Snowed in Today all roads in the county are closed but we do have power Yea...

So as I failed to bring any work home with me I'm just completing my daily challenge then back to study. I working through a book on calculating odds and probability.

For Example You are dealt pocket Tens what is the probibitlity you will not like your hand on the flop (no trips at least one over card)?

Answer later (either tonight or maybe thursday as I plan on having Wed as a no poker day.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Tue Jan 07, 2014 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Highlighted question

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 04:12 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Snowed in Today all roads in the county are closed but we do have power Yea...

So as I failed to bring any work home with me I'm just completing my daily challenge then back to study. I working through a book on calculating odds and probability.

For Example You are dealt pocket Tens what is the probibitlity you will not like your hand on the flop (no trips at least one over card)?

Answer later (either tonight or maybe thursday as I plan on having Wed as a no poker day.

Grade b
so on flop we need an overcard , any card but ten, any card but ten

and we have 3 combos that that can occur.

16 possible overcards, 2 tens and 32 others

16/50*47/49*46/48 = 0.294

32/50*16/49*46/48= 0.2

32/50*31/49*16/48 = 0.135

Added gives us 63% so one time in 3 your Tens will not be looking so hot......ekk

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 04:17 PM
(#18)
so an interesting moth so far weirdly for me doing better at cash games than MTT's but still (just in profit in both.

Took Thursday off and no poker it was nice Will be doing the same next Tuesday.

cash.jpg

Mtt.jpg

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 01:40 PM
(#19)
Not been a great week for me poker-wise or possibly a great one depends on how you look at it I guess.

Mon till today only played 25 Mtt / sng games including PSO series games real and play money.

That said the light schedule has been good even though I fell asleep on friday and missed 3 of them !!!

Got a 50th place in the $7k guarantee KO yesterday which pushed me into the green for the week.

the light schedule has also meant I'm thinking more about plays (rather than random button pushing which I have been guilty of in the past.

More later time to take the kids out.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
re-buys - Sun Jan 19, 2014, 08:52 PM
(#20)
Now i am one player who would say he does not like re-buys but...... i accidentally regestered to a few as satties for the big $4.40, and now i love them...well some of them the ones that are satties for big $4.40 and big $2.20 are full of very poor play and so I find that it is a cheap way to get in to these games.

Now normally for a Rebuy you allow 10 buy ins but given that that is the buy in to the target i restect my self to 4 plus add on. on average i make 1 rebuy and 1 add on.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com