Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Resteal or not?(would like ChewMe1 to answer this)

Old
Resteal or not?(would like ChewMe1 to answer this) - Thu Nov 28, 2013, 08:01 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
Cant find the hand to post it but it was like this:
Fifty50, turbo
9 left
Button opens for 2.5x, SB folds, and I sit in BB with 98s.
Effective stack: 16BB (no antes out there yet)
Villain:
Steal 40%
F3B 32%
In a decent sample of hands

I was inclined to shove here because of his large Steal %, but his small F3B % made me think it twice.
Should i shove here, or not?

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 01:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Espada_Nu.4

I imagine that the blinds at this stage were 50/100? With 16 big blinds in a sng were not exactly short stacked and although we do have a decent amount of fold equity versus a villain with these stats (presuming we have a a fairly big sample size on him), I think shoving would be incorrect.

I would much prefer to wait until the ante's kick before we consider taking a high variance risk like this one.
I would however shove hands that I think are ahead of his range... hands like KJ,A7+ and any pair.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 02:02 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Espada!

I agree with Chris on this one 100%. If I'm going to make a play like this, I want the blinds to be higher and to have antes involved, so I will be getting a better return for taking a risk.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 02:05 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2012
Sorry, forgot to ask
Would you shove here if he had a high F3B % ?

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 02:39 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
For me, I wouldn't.. it's too early in the tourney to be looking at steals. Due to the smaller blinds and no antes, the risk is not worth the reward.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com