Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

1.50 Hyper Turbo 6-Max Betting For Value

Old
1.50 Hyper Turbo 6-Max Betting For Value - Thu Nov 28, 2013, 09:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2012

On the bubble I tend to put a little pressure on villans afraid to bubble out of the money and in this spot the big stack decided to call where I havd A2s.

When he raised the flop I only made it 2 x cause I didnt want to scare him away just yet, would you have raised more or just called?

Then on the turn I checked behind to slowplay him thinking he on a straight draw or is also slow playing but with a set, so I just didnt want to see the board pair.

Now the river makes a straight possibility which I put him on and he raises a little over half the pot and I am now decided what is best do I just raise him allin or make it almost 2.5x for value.

I opted to make it 1800 so if he feels hes beat he can actually make the call and continue playing making it easy for him to see what I have. Good play or bad? Tell me how you would play this hand from start to finish

Old
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 11:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Min raise = pressure?

With the weakest Ace (dominated by a bigger Ace and all but 2 pairs then flipping with other hands) and everybody short (big stack under 15 BBl I prefer not to see a flop here, especially mult-way. If either shoves over you its bad news and you must call the short stack. I raise what I think it takes to make them fold. At a real short table I vary my betting more that a full table for flexibility.

I shove this flop if folded to as there are too many sczre cards.

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 12:35 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi,

Hand Analysis

Did you have any specific reads on villain3? If villain3 has been defending their big blind a high percentage (30%+ short handed) of the time we wont be in to bad of shape versus their overall range, which will usually consist of any two cards. The min raise is standard pre-flop on our stack depth of just over 20bb. That sizing alone will still enable us to build the stack to pot ratio post flop. Now see how I bolded/highlighted that?

Post flop, going with a presumed read that they are loose from the big blind the villains leading range is going to be weak here, especially with a min bet sizing! Their lead can easily consist of a lot of 9x, 16 combos of all these hands (A9 K9 Q9 J9 T9 98 97 96 95) 8x (86 87 J8 Q8 K8) 5x (A5s K5s Q5s J5s 65 54 75) Tx (QT JT T9 T8 T7 T6s) and inferior high card combos with one over card to the five etc... As you get a bigger sample under your belt, you'll soon start to see that a middling range is common defending range and most minbets or reverse floats contain high card combos from the blinds short handed. Even if we make the standard raise sizing, there are just going to be so many hands that currently beat us that will call or re-raise. So calling might have the most merit as opposed to raising as a semi-bluff.

On the turn when checked to, it appears the villain does have some thin showdown value or mediocre draw given their line on the flop bet>call... if we are to make a sizing of 600 to 650 (1/2 pot) the stack to pot ratio will be set up perfectly for a river jam instead of a min raise for value! There are so many hands we can get value from (the ranges mentioned above in paragraph 2), slow playing by checking back is just going to lose us value and quite possibly the added big blinds to scoop the SNG...

All this being said I do think you could have gotten most of this villain's entire stack.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Fri Nov 29, 2013 at 12:41 AM..

Old
Fri Nov 29, 2013, 05:19 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonLee View Post
Hi,

Hand Analysis

Did you have any specific reads on villain3? If villain3 has been defending their big blind a high percentage (30%+ short handed) of the time we wont be in to bad of shape versus their overall range, which will usually consist of any two cards. The min raise is standard pre-flop on our stack depth of just over 20bb. That sizing alone will still enable us to build the stack to pot ratio post flop. Now see how I bolded/highlighted that?

Post flop, going with a presumed read that they are loose from the big blind the villains leading range is going to be weak here, especially with a min bet sizing! Their lead can easily consist of a lot of 9x, 16 combos of all these hands (A9 K9 Q9 J9 T9 98 97 96 95) 8x (86 87 J8 Q8 K8) 5x (A5s K5s Q5s J5s 65 54 75) Tx (QT JT T9 T8 T7 T6s) and inferior high card combos with one over card to the five etc... As you get a bigger sample under your belt, you'll soon start to see that a middling range is common defending range and most minbets or reverse floats contain high card combos from the blinds short handed. Even if we make the standard raise sizing, there are just going to be so many hands that currently beat us that will call or re-raise. So calling might have the most merit as opposed to raising as a semi-bluff.

On the turn when checked to, it appears the villain does have some thin showdown value or mediocre draw given their line on the flop bet>call... if we are to make a sizing of 600 to 650 (1/2 pot) the stack to pot ratio will be set up perfectly for a river jam instead of a min raise for value! There are so many hands we can get value from (the ranges mentioned above in paragraph 2), slow playing by checking back is just going to lose us value and quite possibly the added big blinds to scoop the SNG...

All this being said I do think you could have gotten most of this villain's entire stack.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
CannonLee
Excellent feed back. And yes he was calling around that % . You're definitely right if I had bet half the pot on the turn he may have either shoved or waited until the river to get it all in.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com