Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KJo 50c 180 man Final table

Old
Default
KJo 50c 180 man Final table - Thu Nov 28, 2013, 02:26 PM
(#1)
kykkylik's Avatar
Since: Mar 2013
Posts: 24
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...497_6772BC2185

Villain 27/10. How should I play this?
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 03:12 PM
(#2)
spand42's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,496
Shove preflop. V1 has just contributed a nice extra bit of dead money to the pot that you can just pick up.

KJs is strong enough to shove preflop with your M number at just over 7. The big majority of the time you will get two folds, but even if you get called you will still have a decent equity.

You are also one of only two players that can make V1 go broke, so he will be very wary about calling you when there are other short stacks that are likely to get eliminated soon.

As played, you're in a really tricky spot. I would probably call here as I think V1 would make a similar play with the bare Ah, maybe with two pair and Ah - he can't really put you on having as strong a hand as a straight.
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 04:58 PM
(#3)
ChewMe1's Avatar
Since: Jan 2012
Posts: 574
Hi kykkylik

spand42 has summed up the hand nicely, the only thing I can add to this would be that our decision to call villains shove ought to depend on what player type he is. A typical 27/10 guy will tend to play very passive post flop but of course you do get the aggressive ones too.

The only way I can see us folding to villains turn shove would be if he's playing VERY passively. as spand42 pointed out, it's hard to for villain to put you on a hand as strong as you have therefore he could be shipping in Ahx or any 2 pair combo.

This certainly isn't an easy one hence why I think the only option we have is to make our decision based on how he's been playing post flop and with 2 other short stacks I think we ought to be taking some icm into consideration.

Cheers, Chris.
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 07:33 PM
(#4)
Yeahboiiiii's Avatar
Since: Nov 2013
Posts: 45
my take on the play is I would have like to have raised pf to around 14k leaving you enough chips to fold should he jam on you but enough to clear most weak hands from the pot after all the last thing you want is allowing BB to play with a K3 and flop come K3X which would cost you chips no matter what.

I also don't really like the bet on the turn OOP I would rather check call i know people will tell me I'm wrong and that I should protect the pot as I'm probably winning but if you bet and he raises its a very hard decision your left with whereas the check keeps the pot small if he does have the flush, but allows plenty of hands you are beating to pay you off. if after 2 streets its been checked twice I think he's 75% of the time betting the turn with any 2.

If he also checks and the river comes a 4th heart it probably gets checked down by a heart of 8 and under and bet 7200 by a heart above the 8 but also by a steal so i would call 1v1 as you only need to catch the bluff 1/4 times

If he also checks and the river comes a blank i think we are in a great spot to bet for value of around 9200 and be called by KQ or QJ that was scared of betting the flop and turn but feel to a checked down pot that they could be winning.

I don't ever really see him have Ah here without it being suited and having the nuts, this is because most aces are raising from the button as are 88 and above.

My overall read on him is he probably has 78h or 89h as that's in his range to limp with I don't see the raise on the turn coming if he has KJh,K9h,J9h as most likely they would call in position hoping you bet again on the river if not they can then value bet the river which gets called by KJ and the flush and maybe some 2 pairs depending on the player.
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 08:57 PM
(#5)
spand42's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahboiiiii View Post
my take on the play is I would have like to have raised pf to around 14k leaving you enough chips to fold should he jam on you but enough to clear most weak hands from the pot after all the last thing you want is allowing BB to play with a K3 and flop come K3X which would cost you chips no matter what.
I think raising to 14K ahead of a limper and with the big stack still to act with the intention of folding to a shove is really spewy. We can't really afford to give up 1/3 of our stack just to raise/fold preflop. The only situation where I might be tempted to raise like this would be if we had AA or KK, but even then I think I would just shove.

The best way of forcing the villains to fold their weak holdings and even some hands stronger than ours is to put all our chips in the middle and get the maximum leverage out of our fold equity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahboiiiii View Post
I also don't really like the bet on the turn OOP I would rather check call i know people will tell me I'm wrong and that I should protect the pot as I'm probably winning but if you bet and he raises its a very hard decision your left with whereas the check keeps the pot small if he does have the flush, but allows plenty of hands you are beating to pay you off. if after 2 streets its been checked twice I think he's 75% of the time betting the turn with any 2.
I think betting is the correct play OTT. We are not betting to protect our hand, we are simply betting for pure value. Our straight will be best a very large percentage of the time and I want to be playing for stacks.

I assume your plan is to check-raise all in when Villain bets the turn? Well this is just another way of getting to play for stacks, except that by leading out, we we guarantee that at least some money is going in when we are likely ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahboiiiii View Post
I don't ever really see him have Ah here without it being suited and having the nuts, this is because most aces are raising from the button as are 88 and above.

My overall read on him is he probably has 78h or 89h as that's in his range to limp with I don't see the raise on the turn coming if he has KJh,K9h,J9h as most likely they would call in position hoping you bet again on the river if not they can then value bet the river which gets called by KJ and the flush and maybe some 2 pairs depending on the player.
I wouldn't disagree with too much of this - but I used to play a lot of micro-stakes tourneys and I see people limp when on a shortstack will allsorts of hands, including some premiums like JJ and AK - presumably they want to see if the flop is OK before they commit their chips.

I don't know how many times I got sucked out on by people limp/calling my 10BB shove with something like A2 or KT - people at these stakes make a lot of bad a fishy plays.
 
Old
Default
Thu Nov 28, 2013, 09:40 PM
(#6)
ArtySmokesPS's Avatar
Since: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,324
You're not deep enough to call and play post-flop, especially OOP. Just shove pre and you're printing money whether villains call or fold.


Bracelet Winner
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com